Some people may use games to build relationships with young people and trick them into sexual activities. They could try to build your trust by:
- buying you items in the game or helping you complete it
- giving you compliments or asking for your help playing
- asking you personal questions
- showing you have things in common, such as the game
- asking you to continue the conversation outside of a game, such as on a different social network or messaging app.
Groomers can behave differently. They may talk to you in the game or ask you to talk privately on chat sites such as Skype. They could ask you to send sexual pictures of yourself.
It can be hard to tell if someone is grooming or trying to trick you. Even if someone helps you in a game, you shouldn’t feel pressured into doing anything you’re uncomfortable with. If you’re feeling worried, hang up or cancel the chat and speak to an adult you trust.
You can also report an adult or stranger if they’ve sent a sexual message or asked you to send one, done anything that makes you feel uncomfortable, or asked you to meet up with them.