PTSD is a mental health condition that can affect someone after they've had a very frightening experience and felt their life was in danger.
Whether you get PTSD has nothing to do with being weak or strong. Someone with PTSD might:
- have nightmares or flashbacks about what happened
- spend lots of time thinking about or remembering what's happened
- try to avoid places that remind them of what's happened
- feel anxious or start to have other mental health issues
- struggle to concentrate or get to sleep at night
- feel unable to cope.
Not everyone who has a frightening experience will develop PTSD. But if you're worried about your mental health, it's important to get help. Find out more about the symptoms of PTSD.