Free to dream
Wayne Rooney is a professional footballer who started playing for Everton in the Premier League when he was 16. Since then he has become a legend for Manchester United and England, scoring more than 200 goals over the years.
He's here to tell you about his experiences, so that you can learn from what he's been through.
Wayne Rooney's top 5 moments:
- becoming the youngest player to score in the Premier League when he was 16, for Everton
- scoring a hat-trick in the Champions League in his first ever game for Manchester United
- playing his first game for England in 2003 - he's now played over 100 games for his country!
- becoming the top ever scorer for England, scoring more than 50 goals over the years
- scoring his 200th premier league goal when he scored for Everton against Manchester City in August 2017.
When he was growing up, Wayne was able to follow his dreams of becoming a professional footballer because of the support of his family. And he believes that every young person should be happy, safe and free to dream.
But if there's ever anything stopping you from dreaming or making time for your hobbies, talk to a Childline counsellor.
Sexual abuse and sport
Wayne Rooney wants you to know that if you’re ever feeling unsafe or worried about sexual abuse, you can get help from Childline.
Sexual abuse is when someone is forced, pressurised or tricked into taking part in any kind of sexual activity with another person.
Anyone can be sexually abused, both girls and boys. If you're worried about sexual abuse in your sports team or club, it’s important to get help.
Any kind of abuse is always wrong. It’s not your fault and you don’t have to cope on your own. Get support from our counsellors.
didn't know how to
What Wayne's watching
Sports for young people with a disability
We have lots of different videos on our YouTube channel. Get involved in the discussion and let us know what you'd like us to make a video about.