Lots of people use social media or online tools to help them cope with how they feel. Some young people find it easier talking online to people they’ve not met in person. Or they might meet someone online who’s going through the same thing as them.
But it’s important to think about whether the people you’re talking to are helping you to feel better. If you’re not sure, ask yourself whether talking to them:
- makes you feel like things will never change
- stops you getting support or talking to other people
- only gives you one point of view, and stop other people from sharing theirs
- pushes you to do things that might hurt you
- makes you feel competitive about what’s happening
- leaves you feeling worse after talking.
If you’re not sure whether talking online is making things in your life better, there are lots of other ways to get support as well.