Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Moving house

Hi Sam lately my mum got a letter from the landlord saying we have to move out the house in 2 months my mum is in a lot o dept and garnet got a lot of money she crystal most times and I have younger sisters who don't understand what shall I do xx
Ask Sam


Hi there,

Thank you for your message to me. It sounds like you and your family are going through a stressful time right now. You’ve done the right thing by getting in touch.

It sounds like your mum is experiencing some money problems which might mean you have to move out of your house. It can be really stressful to know that your family is struggling with money and the thought of having to move out of your home can be really unsettling. I’m wondering whether you have anyone to talk to about these feelings as I can hear that talking to your mum may be difficult if she gets upset. 

ChildLine counsellors are always there to listen to you and help you deal with any feelings you have. Stress and worry can build up and it’s important to have a way to release these feelings. People cope with stress in different ways and finding a way that works for you can take time. It might be doing some physical exercise, watching a funny film, taking a hot bath or talking to someone that helps you. It might be combinations of these things that help you. You could explore this with a counsellor.

It sounds like the money problems have resulted in your mum feeling upset. It’s important to remember that none of this is your fault. It is not your responsibility to fix these money problems although it may feel like you want to do something to help. I can hear that you’re also worried about your younger sisters. Sometimes families do experience money problems from time to time and things can go back to normal.

However, if you feel like either you or your sisters need some more support, it can really help to speak to someone you trust. There is help out there for you and your family. Perhaps you could talk about this some more with a ChildLine counsellor. You can talk to a counsellor on a 1-2-1 chat, via email or by calling 0800 1111. 

Again, well done for writing to me. I hope this information helps.

Take care,

Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter