Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Can I claim benefits if I move out?

im 16, i moved out of my parents house because we werent getting on and for the moment i am living with my boyfriends parents, i will need to find somewhere else to live soon and i have applied for a college course but need to supply my own equiptment and dont have enough money to live on, are there any benefits i can claim?

Ask Sam


Hi there,

It can be really tough moving out on your own when you are still in education. Even having a job can mean not having enough money to make ends meet. The kind of help someone can get depends on their situation and benefits can be complex, so it's always best to speak to a professional. If you are able to claim some benefits then they may be quite limited.

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau is a good place to start - talking to someone face to face about your situation and being able to get advice specific to you can be really helpful. Your advisor should be very familiar with these kind of questions and be able to help.

Turn2Us is another young person's advice service who offer advice and support. Our counsellors are always here for you if you need to talk about what things are like between you and your parents or anything else.

Take care,

Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter