Ask Sam letter


To Sam

My boyfriend cheated on me

I really don't know what to do. I'm 16 and my boyfriend is 18, I'm 6 months pregnant with his child and I learned last night that my 15 year old friend had sex....with my boyfriend, and she's 5 weeks pregnant with his child. I hate my boyfriend now but i'm scared for my friend as she is only 15 and has no money of her own and i know my boyfriend won't provide for her kid. what can i do to help her? I was thinking about reporting my boyfriend because of what he did to my friend, would  i be allowed to do that?
Ask Sam


Hi there,

Thank you for writing to me.

It sounds like you have a lot going on for you right now as you are 6 months pregnant and I can hear that it might have been very shocking and upsetting to find out that your friend is now also pregnant with your boyfriend’s child.

It sounds like you have a lot of anger towards your boyfriend right now and that is understandable.

You’ve asked if you are allowed to report him because of what he did to your friend.  If you mean that you would like to report him to the police then yes, you are allowed to as anybody can report things to the police. As to what the police would do about it, it is hard to say.

I can hear that you are worried about your friend and you want to help her. I think that she needs to make her own decisions about what she does. Maybe the best way to be a good friend in this situation is to give her the space to do this while letting her know that you care about her.

If either of you want support or advice with your pregnancy, you might find it helpful to have a look at Brook. You’ll find information about pregnancy and services in your local area.

ChildLine is here to support you with anything that is on your mind. If you would like to talk about your options, get support with how you are feeling or just get things off your chest, our counsellors are here to listen and you can contact them at any time by using our 1-2-1 chat or by calling 0800 1111 which is a free number.

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter