Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Physical abuse

Hi there

i have heard that you are good at giving advise at home my parents hit me sometimes if I do something wrong sometimes they hit me with a shoe and other times with their hand I have always wanted to tell someone and I think you are the right person I was going to run away but I didnt know if I was making the right choice I really need help.

Ask Sam


Hi there,

It's never okay for someone to hurt you in any way. Parents should never hurt you as they are there to look after you. It's always okay to talk to someone you trust if you are unhappy with the way things are at home.

Physical abuse is when someone hurts you. You may feel lots of confusing feelings about what they are doing. You might feel angry that they hurt you, but worried about getting them into trouble if you tell someone. What is the most important thing to remember is that you are not doing anything wrong and this isn't your fault.

Running away from home can make a lot more problems for you - such as where you are going to live, how you will support yourself and where you'll feel safe. Leaving home can be a better option if you are older and close to being an adult, but if you are still at school then it might be better to change how things are at home, rather than run away.

A good first step is to have a think about what you'd like to change and how you want things to be. Maybe write down what you want to be different at home and then think about who might be able to help you make those changes. It could be a teacher at school, a family member or even a Childline counsellor.

I hope that helps you.


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter