Ask Sam letter


To Sam


Dear shelter,

I used to get phyically abused alot at home and there isn't  day I don't remember it, it still happens but not as bad s before now I can fight back. It is hard for me to live at home I stay in my room all the time to keep safe and y mum verbally abuses me really badly I think she is mentally ill but she won't get help.
Is there anything I can do?

Ask Sam


Hi there

Thank you for writing in about what you are going through. It sounds like you do need to get help as soon as possible - it is important that you are safe and secure at home.

You don’t say how old you are, but if you're under 18, you will need help while you are living at home with your mum. It sounds like your mum needs help too. Even if your mum won’t get help for herself, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get the support that you need.

It would be good for you to talk things through with an adult you can trust. You could call Chlidline on 0800 1111, send an email or log in for a 1-2-1 chat.

You could also ask social services for help and you will be able to find the details of their Children's Services department on your local council’s website. They will assess your situation to see if they can help you and offer support, and perhaps accommodation away from your mum. The law says that social services must provide support and accommodation to children in need if the people they are living with are prevented from providing them with suitable accommodation or care. You can find more information and advice on the Shelter website, or you could call our free advice line on 0808 800 4444 to talk through your options.

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter