Coping with lockdown when you're over 18

Childline is here for everyone up until their 19th birthday. But lockdown has been hard for everyone, and you don’t have to cope alone.

Feeling like things keep changing

With most of the country in a third lockdown, it can be hard to think about the future. You might be worried about:

  • being out of work or losing your job
  • having enough money to live or buy essentials
  • university or further education changing or stopping
  • wanting to leave home or the place you’re living, or worrying about being homeless
  • what will happen in the future.

Social distancing can make it more difficult to get the help you need to cope. If you’re too old to use Childline but you need support, then we’ve got advice to help.

Help from The Mix

The Mix is a good place to start. Their website includes expert advice on issues relevant to young adults specificially, such as employment, money, university and rights. It's also a free and confidential, multi-channel service which means that you can access their support and keep it private. You won't have to worry about anyone else finding out. 

They also offer:

  • information and advice via a vlog series, featuring expert articles or true life stories 
  • connection to others like you on their message boards and  live chat services
  • a chance to share your own writing, images or playlists with others in the Your Voices section.

How to cope during lockdown

If you're 18 or 19, you may have found lockdown especially difficult for a lot of reasons. Whether it's school, university, family life or your employment situation, we're still here to offer advice that may help. 

Where you can get support

You don’t have to cope alone. If you’re struggling with what to do there are places that can help:


  • The Mix
    The Mix's services can help in many ways, including the support you need when going from Childline to The Mix.
  • Samaritans
    You can talk to the Samaritans about anything, and they can help if you’re having a tough time. Call them for free on 116 123 or send them an email.
  • NSPCC Helpline
    If you’re worried about a child or someone who’s under 18, you can talk anonymously to the NSPCC Helpline to get support. Call for free on 0808 800 5000 or send a message online.
  • Shelter
    Get advice and support on housing or if you’re worried about homelessness and you’re living in England or Scotland. If you’re living in other parts of the UK, we’ve got information on where to get support.
  • NHS
    Get information on any medical or health concerns you might have, or get information on how to contact your GP.
  • Citizens Advice
    Get free advice on anything that might be happening in your life.