Afro Hair

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    indiesushii / Jun 29 2016 22.25

Hi guys

I'm currently having problems with my self esteem, and one of the causes is my hair. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm mixed race and have uncontrollable afro hair. As a result, I straighten it an awful lot, It's the only time I can feel sort of pretty when I have straight hair. I want to cry every time I look in the mirror with my natural hair. People at school make me feel so ugly by always laughing at my hair and I see so many racist posts about black peoples hair. Also, the media makes me feel much much worse! A majority of models and people on tv have beautiful straight or wavy hair and it just gets me down so much. I see posts on the internet of people saying things like "Why do black people have such bad hair". It just makes me so insecure:/ I'm extremely close to just getting extensions because I can't take feeling like this every day because of my stupid hair! Does anyone else feel this way?

2. Childline Avatar
    sparkle1327 / Feb 19 2015 1.59
    indiesushii / 18 february 2015 at 16:31

Hi guys

I'm currently having problems with my self esteem, and one of the causes is my hair. I know it sounds stupid, but I'm mixed race and have uncontrollable afro hair. As a result, I straighten it an awful lot, It's the only time I can feel sort of pretty when I have straight hair. I want to cry every time I look in the mirror with my natural hair. People at school make me feel so ugly by always laughing at my hair and I see so many racist posts about black peoples hair. Also, the media makes me feel much much worse! A majority of models and people on tv have beautiful straight or wavy hair and it just gets me down so much. I see posts on the internet of people saying things like "Why do black people have such bad hair". It just makes me so insecure:/ I'm extremely close to just getting extensions because I can't take feeling like this every day because of my stupid hair! Does anyone else feel this way?

hi there, im so sorry to hear that your having problems with yuor selfesteem. i aboslutely love afro hair and think its sooo pretty!! but my tutor has afro hair and one things she did was got it chemically straightenened as she used to straighten it so much, not sure if that helps? also a friend of mine has hers braided and has extentions, which works best for her. but please dont feel pressured to do things beucsae of other people!! people laughing at you isnt okay at all - is there anyone in school you could talk to this about? racism and bullyinf is never okay. it breaks my heart to hear you say that you want to cry when you look at your natural hair, becuase honestly its lovely and you should try your best to embrece it as its yours! i had realy thick hair before it started falling out so i can sort of relate to having hair thats hard to deal with, but other people who hate on your hair arent worth your time at all lovely.

embrace yourslef, your fab the way you are!! :) sending hugs and strength your way xx

3. Childline Avatar
    Cinderella13 / Feb 19 2015 15.18

At my school, people have a crazy obsession with afros and everyone seems to love that style of hair! I have waist long, wild curly brown hair that gets on my nerves sometimes, but I tried tying it up, straightening it and growing out/styling fringe to see what looked nice. Maybe you could try doing something different and unusual, like my best friend, who wears braids and extensions. You could have it chemically straightened? You could try a new hair length or cut? Or, you could style it in a bun, ponytail, plait, loose or braided! Mostly, you are an individual and you should love every inch of yourself because there's no other person like you- and that makes you, you! Take care, Nikki xx

4. Dreamer
    Ezzzra / Feb 22 2015 16.29

No those people who say that speak rubbish! Afro hair is awesome!

5. Childline Avatar
    RabidRabbits / Mar 01 2015 20.47

Those people pick on you because they're insecure and jealous themselves. Afro hair is naturally beautiful. You are you, not someone on a shampoo advert. Learn to love you and your hair! Look in the mirror and smile and say "I look good today!" It takes a long time to accept yourself, because it took me a long time too. But with a little bit of positivity everyday, it's worth it in the end.

Afro hair + a smile = beautiful 

It's not what you have, it's how you work it!

All the best,

Rabid x

6. Childline Avatar
    pro9999 / Jul 24 2015 22.07

Hi guys

This is a really late message as in 2 months late but i want to say that i believe afro hair is sexy.Reasons because it looks healthy and great.You can say anyone has bad hair but it all depends on how you maintain your hair so i believe that if you can sustain your hair keep it looking good to your satisfaction then you should be fine.Secondly, the internet has alot of negative stuff on things all around the world so i suggest that you take notice but not really take to heart the nasty comments that seem to lower self-esteem

7. Childline Avatar
    Shadow_Star / Oct 01 2015 15.15

Hi guys

Hello,

If it's of any confidence I know a couple of people who are black that have afro style hair and I have to say both is really nice. 

Perhaps ask if you could get the afro you have now styled in a way that you like? There's lots of ways to style it whilst keeping the afro.

Do you think modling is something you'd enjoy? Or i've had a vision of 'natural modling' - that is only styling yourself in the way you'd do naturally, so no 'glamming up' for the photoshoot in a way you'd not normally do and definitly no photoshop. Perhaps you could do something like that? If you feel self-consious maybe get other people who'd be interested to do so aswell so it's not you alone.

Sophie.

8. Childline Avatar
    Dabalicious / May 12 2016 14.52

Hi guys

Hey mate im black too and have a similar situation but i get bullied for having straight hair because apparently black people arent ment to , always here for you mate , thankfully my situation has got alot better. I will find away to help you in the best possible way ! See you later mate please reply

9. Gamer
    Ejm2103 / Jun 10 2016 23.52

It's like your failing your own race by straightening your hair,if you do it for fashionable purposes then that's completely understandable but if your doing it because of judgment then that's wrong.Im mixed race myself and yea my hair gets out of control but I just get it shaved round the sides and trimmed on the middle.yea black people shouldn't really have straight hair,it's like their trying to act white,why on earth would you wonna do that (you're basically saying white people are superior than blacks and that they dominate ).Kids at school touch my hair and it's kinda wierd but they think my hair is cool,and to top it all of my hair is a wine red coulor.Just be who you are man,why listen to ignorant children.

10. Childline Avatar
    TheFireLord121 / Jun 27 2016 19.53

Hi guys

Omg i know exactly how u feel my mum has afro hair so i have inhereted very thick hair. I'm like the only person with non caucasian hair in my year and a few people are really mean about my hair. Saying stuff like its dirty and stuff like that. Every morning I spend as much time as i can trying to make it straight and stuff but my hair refuses. It's really horrible cycle and dont worry the afro is a symbol of black power and tbh i personally think its a cool style of hair because it gives it a cool flow. It is very sad that people with afro hair always straighten it because the media and the western way of life has based everything of caucasian hair making us mixed race people isolated. 

I hope this comment helps and ur not on ur own.

11. Chatterbox
    heynongman / Jun 29 2016 22.25

Hi guys

Indie, I'm so jealous of you! You are a very lucky person to have an afro.

I'm white with straight blonde hair and all I want is a nice looking afro.

Don't let anybody judge you. There are people out there who don't care about your looks. In my opinion what matters is personality when it comes to friends. If they just aren't kind enough, then just don't be friends.

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything