What happens when social services come?

Show
  1. Flower
    Joshi2003 / Jun 01 2016 22.44

I asked Child line to call social services, because my mum has hit my brother before, but what happens after? Can someone tell me pls 😱

2. Childline Avatar
    lonewolf321 / Oct 29 2015 0.03

Normally, depending on the certain situation, (in this case) they should do an inspection and go to your house with the police for protection. They will probably sit your mum down and ask her a few questions. They might inspect the house too to see what kind of condition it is in. If they believe you or your brother are not safe they will contact a family member and talk to them about possibly homing you. If not it is a possibility of going into a care home. But it just depends on what they think of the situation. I hope you and your brother are well and safe though. If you feel unsafe at anytime do not be scared or hesitate to call the police.

3. Childline Avatar
    AlexaIsHereForYouAll / Oct 29 2015 10.16
    joshi2003 / 28 october 2015 at 13:02

I asked Child line to call social services, because my mum has hit my brother before, but what happens after? Can someone tell me pls 😱

Hi,

Can I jsut say how brave you are and how much inner strength you have! You asked Childline to call Social Services for your brother and that is such a protective and brave thing to do.So many children, and young people, find that ahrd and you done it, so very well done to you.You should be proud of yourself.How are you feeling about having asked Childline to do that now?

When Social Services receive an anonymous call or referral then they will complete an assessment and talk to you, your brother and your mum. After the assessment and depending on how that goes, they will then decide what actions need to be taken, if any.

Please stay strong and if you need additional support with this then please do ask us and also speak to Childline.

Alexa xx

4. Childline Avatar
    ashley2603 / Oct 29 2015 10.43

Social services will come to your house and interview your family and will asses if its safe for you at home and if it isnt they will take him away and any other children like you are in care but they do try and keep families together so maybe they might even talk to your mum to try and make things at home better for you 

5. Flower
    Joshi2003 / Nov 07 2015 6.29

Thx for the replies 😊. A social worker came and talked to me about it and told me she would tell my school about it but she hasn't assessed my mum as I wasn't sure when she asked if it was OK to tell my mum about it.

6. Childline Avatar
    Lisalizzie12 / Nov 11 2015 0.25

i would like to know abit more about what social services will do if i contact them about my situation at home and how they will help.

7. Childline Avatar
    Thatcheekywink / Apr 16 2016 20.57

My house is really bad with no heating, hot water, broken things everywhere, a hole in the ceiling ceiling of one of the rooms and its just generally not nice. My mum is also abusive and makes me do everything a parent should do except working. What would people do if I called social services? I just want to be normal.

8. Flower
    Joshi2003 / Jun 01 2016 22.44
    thatcheekywink / 16 april 2016 at 20:57

My house is really bad with no heating, hot water, broken things everywhere, a hole in the ceiling ceiling of one of the rooms and its just generally not nice. My mum is also abusive and makes me do everything a parent should do except working. What would people do if I called social services? I just want to be normal.

They will assess your house and talk to your parents, and your school. If you tell them that you feel your life is in danger, the police can put you in emergency care for 1-3 days. If it considered unsafe to live with your parents, they will put your in foster care/ a care home. You might not want to tell them, but to me, it seems like they don't really care about you. :( Despite it looking I just copied and pasted something(I didn't), I hope I helped. -Josh

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything