Not sure if living in care is the best place for me or not

Show
  1. Loser
    dsidi27 / Jun 19 2016 17.25

My parents sometimes hit me and constantly critisize me but I'm not sure if I want a referral to social services to be made. What actually happens and will my sister (who my parents don't abuse) also be possibly taken into care. Most of the time my parents are really nice and they look after me (my mum has anger issues and shouts at my dad and me quite a bit, but thats just her). My dad's friend is really bad, he pretty much always looks for a reason to shout at me or hit me, but he is not around too much. Reading this, do you think care would be right for me. Would I have to move school? I read on a thread that the rules can be hard to adjust to, what does this mean?

2. Childline Avatar
    gunsnrosesgirlxxxx / Jun 19 2016 17.25
    disha2704 / today at 16:11

My parents sometimes hit me and constantly critisize me but I'm not sure if I want a referral to social services to be made. What actually happens and will my sister (who my parents don't abuse) also be possibly taken into care. Most of the time my parents are really nice and they look after me (my mum has anger issues and shouts at my dad and me quite a bit, but thats just her). My dad's friend is really bad, he pretty much always looks for a reason to shout at me or hit me, but he is not around too much. Reading this, do you think care would be right for me. Would I have to move school? I read on a thread that the rules can be hard to adjust to, what does this mean?

Hey there, it sounds as though you feel very confused and upset about your home situation. Talking to someone about what's happening is extremely brave and takes a lot of courage, just in case you were thinking about opening up to someone. It's completely up to you if you want to go into care, but you would have to speak to a school nurse, a teacher or another adult figure. They would then possibly refer you to social services and this seems likely, due to the nature of your situation. And in terms of the rules, I'm going to tell you about my experiences. If I want to go to a party, a sleep over, a holiday or a day out in London or another trip like that, it has to go through my social worker. Most of the other kids in care that I know don't seem to have these rules, but this is what my foster carer is like. I'm not allowed out past 10pm, but my bus doesn't arrive at my stop until 10:10 pm but she doesn't mind that cause it isn't my fault. Many foster parents are told that they are forbidden to buy their looked after children tobacco if they smoke, but a few of my respite carers have. (Respite is when your foster parents go on holiday and they put you into the care of someone else for as long as the holiday lasts) My foster parents have never took me on holiday with them for the whole 5 years I've been here. I always get put into respite, or I stay with my Gran or my girlfriend and they do go away pretty often. It upsets me but never mind. These are just my rules, but they won't necessarily be yours. Hope this helped :)

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything