Unhappy in foster care-let's share our stories :)

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    gunsnrosesgirlxxxx / Jun 30 2016 9.32

Hey there, I was interested to know if there are any other young people in care who aren't very happy in their foster homes? I wanted to start this thread because I feel lonely and everyone thinks my foster carers are "Lovely" and "very understanding" and my Social worker thinks I have it very easy here. They're all wrong. Granted, my problems here aren't major. I'm not being starved or beaten or anything, but this place has been taking a toll on my emotional state for a long time but I just haven't said anything. My brother left a couple of years ago because of it. Okay, I'm grateful for all the things they have done for me and the things they still do, because there are a lot of good times, but all of this frustration is building up big time. I've lived here for 5 years now. 

So, is there anyone else who wants to share their stories? :) 

2. Childline Avatar
    gunsnrosesgirlxxxx / Jun 19 2016 17.15
    gunsnrosesgirlxxxx / today at 16:26

Hey there, I was interested to know if there are any other young people in care who aren't very happy in their foster homes? I wanted to start this thread because I feel lonely and everyone thinks my foster carers are "Lovely" and "very understanding" and my Social worker thinks I have it very easy here. They're all wrong. Granted, my problems here aren't major. I'm not being starved or beaten or anything, but this place has been taking a toll on my emotional state for a long time but I just haven't said anything. My brother left a couple of years ago because of it. Okay, I'm grateful for all the things they have done for me and the things they still do, because there are a lot of good times, but all of this frustration is building up big time. I've lived here for 5 years now. 

I just wanted to add that I'm not a naughty foster child either. I've never disrespected them or their home or got into trouble or anything. What I mean is, the way I feel isn't down to the fact that I do things to make them angry so they make me angry. I'm good, but I just don't know with all of these mixed messages I recieve from them. 

3. Childline Avatar
    Elly-Rayofsunshine / Jun 22 2016 20.00

My care home is a dump . A girl punched me I have a black eye and people say I had it coming. ih hate it. It feels like I'm unwanted everywhere

4. Childline Avatar
    gunsnrosesgirlxxxx / Jun 26 2016 19.28
    elly / rayofsunshine

My care home is a dump . A girl punched me I have a black eye and people say I had it coming. ih hate it. It feels like I'm unwanted everywhere

Hey there. That sounds horrible. I know how you feel when you say you feel unwanted everywhere. Someone should have stopped the girl who punched you.

5. Childline Avatar
    alexbruv / Jun 27 2016 11.59

My foster carers are annoying, they act like they care so much about me but in their own language I know that they are always swearing at me. I just hate it here bc everyone thinks they are so perfect they are really not. They aren't accepting of anything. I've been living with them for about a year and a half and I just hate it..

6. Butterfly
    L-N123 / Jun 28 2016 11.27
    gunsnrosesgirlxxxx / 19 june 2016 at 16:26

my first foster placement was awful! untindy everything you dont want to live in. they were lovely people at first but now im in temporary respite till they find me a permanent place :/ its not nice not knowing but social workers and that have all the control where i am now is the best id love to stay :( roll on November when ill be 18 and can move to independent living!

7. Childline Avatar
    gunsnrosesgirlxxxx / Jun 29 2016 12.27
    alexm8 / 27 june 2016 at 11:59

My foster carers are annoying, they act like they care so much about me but in their own language I know that they are always swearing at me. I just hate it here bc everyone thinks they are so perfect they are really not. They aren't accepting of anything. I've been living with them for about a year and a half and I just hate it..

Hey there, it sounds like you are struggling a lot in your foster placement at the minute. I understand the mixed messages that they may be giving you. It must also make you very uncomfortable that they aren't very accepting. I know it's annoying, Foster Care has this very glamourised outlook to everyone: everyone thinks that foster carers are fully accepting, always nice to their foster children and willing to listen. But in reality, this isn't always the case. I'm always here if you need to rant :)
  8. Childline Avatar
    gunsnrosesgirlxxxx / Jun 29 2016 12.29
    l / n123

my first foster placement was awful! untindy everything you dont want to live in. they were lovely people at first but now im in temporary respite till they find me a permanent place :/ its not nice not knowing but social workers and that have all the control where i am now is the best id love to stay :( roll on November when ill be 18 and can move to independent living!

Hey there, this sounds very difficult. I really hope you find somewhere permanent. And I agree, the unknown aspect is very unpleasant. And I hope independent living goes well in November :) I'm always here :)
  9. Childline Avatar
    W3bbie / Jun 29 2016 21.03
    l / n123

Aren't you allowed your own flat because my friend is in care 15 but she might be allowed a flat when she is 16

10. Childline Avatar
    gunsnrosesgirlxxxx / Jun 30 2016 9.32
    w3bbie / 29 june 2016 at 21:03

Aren't you allowed your own flat because my friend is in care 15 but she might be allowed a flat when she is 16

Hey there, Social workers can place 16 year olds into their own place if they think they are truly ready, but in my experience, they aren't too keen on it. I asked if I could have my own place by 16, but after I had a meeting about it, it made me think about it. It made me realise that it's not going to be all rainbows and butterflies: you will have bills, shopping, rent, some may be placed in areas that aren't that nice too. If your friend is not currently working, she will be allowed benefits but it's not a lot at all. If I were you, I would perhaps advise your friend to perhaps get a job before she thinks about moving into her own flat. I have planned to move out in February, after I turn 18, but unfortunately, my work told me they had no more hours for me, so i lost my job about a month ago so now I have to find another job. So, if your friend feels ready to do this, then just advise her to try and get a job, but let her know that if she's not ready, she doesn't have to move out :)
  11. Childline Avatar
    Boolousie15 / Jul 26 2016 15.13

im 18 and have been in care since the age of three so I have had a number of foster cares my 5th carer when i was 10 was not very nice and that but I spoke out to my social worker and was placed with a nicer family.

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything