Russia’s Nuclear Threats

This content might introduce themes and ideas that may be confusing or shocking if you have not experienced them before.   

Go to Our World/Current news

Show
  1. Supported
    LivelyDrawingPuffin3497 / Jun 08 2022 17.54

Russia continues to threaten the UK with their nuclear arsenal. Saying we shall be attacked if we send “long ranged weapons” to Ukraine. We did. Now I am incredibly scared and can’t get it off my mind as Russia could absoloutely destroy the UK with nukes. Idk how to cope with this. Any thoughts?

2. Fixer
    VibingTiredOtter / Jun 08 2022 18.41

First of all, don't believe everything you seen online, there has particularly been a lot of exaugurated information about Russia's Nuclear capabilities. Its extremely unlikely the UK with be bombed and the treats made are more of a warning and an attempt to scaring the government. Nuclear weapons are mainly used as deterrent and Russia has also seen it this way. If Russia was to send nukes it would result in Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) which means both sides would be nuked which wouldn't be good for anyone and both sides understand that this would be the outcome. The UK is also part of NATO which includes the USA and France and a lot of other countries, if the UK was attacked all these countries would support us with military and NATO also holds a large nuclear arsenal which is another reason why its unlikely to happen.

I've also felt terrified of nuclear weapons and a bit paranoid about it when I was younger but I found learning the facts helps and you could talk to your teacher particularly History or Modern studies about it as they are likely to have some knowledge on it. Also try to focus on what is actually happening and not what might, also try think about what's happening in your life and not the wider world, focus on doing things you enjoy. If the thoughts keep going through your mind do something to distract yourself talk to a friend, read a book, watch a film etc.

It can feel frustrating and scary especially as its completely out of your control but try to not worry as its extremely unlikely to happen.

3. Supported
    VibingTiredOtter / Jun 08 2022 18.41

First of all, don't believe everything you seen online, there has particularly been a lot of exaugurated information about Russia's Nuclear capabilities. Its extremely unlikely the UK with be bombed and the treats made are more of a warning and an attempt to scaring the government. Nuclear weapons are mainly used as deterrent and Russia has also seen it this way. If Russia was to send nukes it would result in Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) which means both sides would be nuked which wouldn't be good for anyone and both sides understand that this would be the outcome. The UK is also part of NATO which includes the USA and France and a lot of other countries, if the UK was attacked all these countries would support us with military and NATO also holds a large nuclear arsenal which is another reason why its unlikely to happen.

I've also felt terrified of nuclear weapons and a bit paranoid about it when I was younger but I found learning the facts helps and you could talk to your teacher particularly History or Modern studies about it as they are likely to have some knowledge on it. Also try to focus on what is actually happening and not what might, also try think about what's happening in your life and not the wider world, focus on doing things you enjoy. If the thoughts keep going through your mind do something to distract yourself talk to a friend, read a book, watch a film etc.

It can feel frustrating and scary especially as its completely out of your control but try to not worry as its extremely unlikely to happen.

LivelyDrawingPuffin3497 / Jun 09 2022 1.08

Thanks I found this actually helped a lot 😊

4. Gamer

Russia continues to threaten the UK with their nuclear arsenal. Saying we shall be attacked if we send “long ranged weapons” to Ukraine. We did. Now I am incredibly scared and can’t get it off my mind as Russia could absoloutely destroy the UK with nukes. Idk how to cope with this. Any thoughts?

FamousFlyingPanda2700 / Jul 22 2022 1.52

im happy i was not the only one scared

5. Contemplator

Flying-Lion / Jul 24 2022 7.40

First of all, the UK has many political allies (friends) so Russia wouldn’t do that in my opinion.

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything