RAF & Mental Health

Show
  1. Loser
    IAmWeirdlyExisting12 / Jun 04 2022 21.07

Hello there,

My name is Aster and I’m 12 years old. I plan on joining Air Cadets when I turn 13. I also want to be in the RAF when I’m older but there’s something I‘m worried about.

I’ve researched a lot about the RAF and how to get in and it says that you need to be in good health. This is worrying for me because I have OCD and social anxiety. Physical health is no issue but I’m scared my mental health issues are.

Will OCD and social anxiety interfere with my dreams?

2. Coolcat
    MusicalVibingLynx2101 / Jun 05 2022 6.11

Hi Aster,

Hope you're doing ok

I'm sorry but I've done a bit of research - and asked my dad, who used to be in the forces. Both say that if you have anything like: panic, agoraphobia, social phobia, simple phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorders, other acute reactions to stress and post-traumatic stress then it may be, unfortunately, "disqualifying for entry into the services". However, there is a possibility that you can join if you are symptom and treatment free from it up to three years before joining.

But I say go for it, and try it anyway. You may or may not get it, but you would have tried and if it is your dream then give it a shot!

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Stella x

3. Loser
    MusicalVibingLynx2101 / Jun 05 2022 6.11

Hi Aster,

Hope you're doing ok

I'm sorry but I've done a bit of research - and asked my dad, who used to be in the forces. Both say that if you have anything like: panic, agoraphobia, social phobia, simple phobias, obsessive-compulsive disorders, other acute reactions to stress and post-traumatic stress then it may be, unfortunately, "disqualifying for entry into the services". However, there is a possibility that you can join if you are symptom and treatment free from it up to three years before joining.

But I say go for it, and try it anyway. You may or may not get it, but you would have tried and if it is your dream then give it a shot!

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Stella x

IAmWeirdlyExisting12 / Jun 05 2022 22.02

Hi Stella,

Thank you so much for answering, this was really helpful. Since I’m only 12 and going into therapy, I’ll try my best to get better. And yes I will give the RAF a shot, thank you so much again. :)

4. Coolcat
    MusicalVibingLynx2101 / Jun 08 2022 19.43

No problem

Wishing you the best of luck!

Stella x

5. Nose dive

Hello there,

My name is Aster and I’m 12 years old. I plan on joining Air Cadets when I turn 13. I also want to be in the RAF when I’m older but there’s something I‘m worried about.

I’ve researched a lot about the RAF and how to get in and it says that you need to be in good health. This is worrying for me because I have OCD and social anxiety. Physical health is no issue but I’m scared my mental health issues are.

TiredReadingPuma1416 / Jun 09 2022 21.35

Hi Aster.

I hope your doing okay. Im an air cadet and was looking at the RAF as a career to. I would definitely recommend joining cadets - it was the best decision i ever made. The RAF usually only go based of physical health. Depending on the role, they can only say no due to mental health if it puts you at risk at all.

If you end up joining cadets, they do loads of careers events throughout the year and you are always more than welcome to ask. I can tell you though that air cadets never leave someone out because of their mental health, and i cant imagine tje RAF would do the same.

So id say go join cadets. Go join the RAF. If your determined enough to do it, youll do it.

Hope this helped,

Hattie :)

6. Childline Avatar

Hello there,

LivelyWalkingHare2700 / Jun 24 2022 16.44

hey aster,

ive been in the cadets for coming up to a year soon honestly its one of the few things that i enjoy to spend my free time and i honestly do not regret it at all.So many opportunities that are possible to do.remember to do what you want to do

7. Winner

Hello there,

AmazingSurfingTiger4717 / Jul 31 2022 21.14

Hey!!! Sorry to here about your issues I have my own too for example: autism, ocd, pinic attacks and anxiety, but you should speek up and say that you can't just give up dew too difficultys you didn't ask for. I am the same age as you and hope that I can be as great as those before me. All you need to know is that the world can change and that unless one of the many many many people in you situation stand up, all of you suffer. #change is real and so is the struggle, but only if you let it be.

Best wishes summer!!! 😁

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything