Can and why does emdr cause physical reactions?? Can anyone give me an answer?

Reading this content might be upsetting and trigger difficult feelings and emotions if you have experienced these events or feelings in the past

Go to Sexual Abuse

Show
  1. Prisoner
    ProudSharingOtter2399 / Apr 06 2022 15.22

So after I had a flashback of grandad pinning me down my down there was throbbing. The flashback was months ago but I'm still struggling with it. I know you're not really supposed to do it on your own but I can talk on here if I need to so I twice have tried to do emdr on my own I don't really know if I'm doing it right tbh but both times in the middle of doing the emdr my down there would consistently throb and I don't get why????

2. Childline Avatar
    PotatoLife / Apr 18 2022 23.17

Hey, it sounds like the memory of what happened with your grandad is becoming quite overwhelming which is completely understandable. It must really be hard for you right now given the experience of what happened. I am not entirely familiar with EMDR but am aware it is a form of psychological therapy, if you're doing it on yourself, make sure you are doing it in a safe manner, making sure you don't try pushing yourself too much or let it become overwhelming. Perhaps your private parts throbbing while doing this is in association with what happened, you're thinking about what has happened as a result your body might be doing what happened at the time as it was a sexual experience. What you can try when you feel that you're starting to think about what happened too much is listen to some music, distract yourself. This can also be done by grounding techniques such as 54321, where you spot 5 things you can see, 4 things you can feel, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste, the idea of it being to try and take your mind off the flashback and this could solve the throbbing issue.

Stay Safe,

-Connor

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything