Share your writing tips

Show
  1. Reaching out
    Jas-Host / Dec 28 2021 16.52

Hi everyone,

This creative writing board has always been a place where we love to come to read all that you create and imagine. And when Covid first arrived, we were amazed by all the imagination that went into your roleplay threads, a theme that continues and we love to read them all.

We've also noticed that more and more of you want to join in (of course!) and that you also want to try writing different things yourselves too.

So, we thought this thread could be a good place to share all your tips - for roleplays, for stories, for on the boards but also when you want to write outside of the boards too.

We'd love if any of you felt able to share what inspires you, how you begin to create your characters and story, how you structure what you write and what you've learned along the way.

Happy writing!

Jas-Host

2. Lion
    BennyWithoutAWaffle / Dec 29 2021 10.14

This is a really cool idea :)

I have some advice for how I write characters because I love writing characters:

-I get inspiration from real life for my characters and it makes characters more believeable.

-To avoid one dimensional characters just keep on developing your characters, even if you think you've finished with them

-Give them their own quirks to make characters more believeable. Such as hobbies, their favourite colour, clothing styles etc. These don't have to be mentioned all of the time, but just now and again. For example, if a character likes the colour pink, they could ask for a pink hat (or something idk that example was really random lol)

-Do research! What I love about making characters is finding out about different cultures etc. when doing futher research.

-Naming characters can be hard for some people and easy for others. For non-human characters I find it easy to name them because I put a word which I'd associate with the character into a translastor to a language I think fits (for me, commonly Latin) and the name for the charcater comes from that word. However for human characters it's so much harder for me. What I do is run through a list of names and for some reason, one certain name just 'works' for the character; I don't do research into human characters' names.

-Character design takes time. It's okay to completely change a character's design or just tweak it slightly.

-Context is important to make a character, such as the time period. If your story is based in the past then I'd recommend doing some research into this time period to make sure it's accurate (such as the clothing styles, mannerisms in speech etc.)

I've ran out of ideas now but I hope this helped someone!

Benny~

3. Wallflower
    AlpacaInATrenchcoat / Dec 31 2021 16.23

Please make sure you do worldbuilding in and for your story. This sounds really basic but you’d be suprised how many things you’ll read or see and people don’t do the worldbuilding properly and it effects the story.

I can do more specific advice for this, but I’m tried right now so I’m giving the very general stuff in this post because I do not have the energy to do specific stuff.

The main things you have to at least think of when making a world is:

Dominant species (eg humans or an alien species)

Main jobs people have (Eg if it’s

Main religeon (If on Earth, look at the area your story is set and see if it’s a very religeous area. It’s very important in some countries and areas. You don’t need a religeous character, but things like chrpurches will exist in places with Christianity as the main religeon and things like that)

Geography/Climate (Please think about where your main setting is located. Climate and geography vary dramatically in different areas)

Culture (Eg Do they have any festivals?)

History of the area (Eg Is there Roman architecture?)

You don’t have to write in detail about any of these in your story, but just small lines, like maybe at one point the main character walks past a church at one point, or the main character’s parents are farmers. It just needs to show that there is more to the world than just the story.

Hopefully that nakes sense.

I’m very tried atm, so sorry if that doesn’t make sense.

-Jamie

4. Headphones

I have some advice for how I write characters because I love writing characters:

-I get inspiration from real life for my characters and it makes characters more believeable.

-To avoid one dimensional characters just keep on developing your characters, even if you think you've finished with them

-Give them their own quirks to make characters more believeable. Such as hobbies, their favourite colour, clothing styles etc. These don't have to be mentioned all of the time, but just now and again. For example, if a character likes the colour pink, they could ask for a pink hat (or something idk that example was really random lol)

-Do research! What I love about making characters is finding out about different cultures etc. when doing futher research.

-Naming characters can be hard for some people and easy for others. For non-human characters I find it easy to name them because I put a word which I'd associate with the character into a translastor to a language I think fits (for me, commonly Latin) and the name for the charcater comes from that word. However for human characters it's so much harder for me. What I do is run through a list of names and for some reason, one certain name just 'works' for the character; I don't do research into human characters' names.

-Character design takes time. It's okay to completely change a character's design or just tweak it slightly.

-Context is important to make a character, such as the time period. If your story is based in the past then I'd recommend doing some research into this time period to make sure it's accurate (such as the clothing styles, mannerisms in speech etc.)

Benny~

Ashleigh-xxx / Jan 01 2022 17.28

Thank you Benny that's really helpful

-Ashleigh

5. Headphones

Please make sure you do worldbuilding in and for your story. This sounds really basic but you’d be suprised how many things you’ll read or see and people don’t do the worldbuilding properly and it effects the story.

I can do more specific advice for this, but I’m tried right now so I’m giving the very general stuff in this post because I do not have the energy to do specific stuff.

Main religeon (If on Earth, look at the area your story is set and see if it’s a very religeous area. It’s very important in some countries and areas. You don’t need a religeous character, but things like chrpurches will exist in places with Christianity as the main religeon and things like that)

Geography/Climate (Please think about where your main setting is located. Climate and geography vary dramatically in different areas)

You don’t have to write in detail about any of these in your story, but just small lines, like maybe at one point the main character walks past a church at one point, or the main character’s parents are farmers. It just needs to show that there is more to the world than just the story.

-Jamie

Ashleigh-xxx / Jan 01 2022 17.30

And Jamie that's also really helpful, thanks guys

-Ashleigh

6. Loser

Benny~

Filipino-twst-supremacy / Jan 01 2022 17.49

Ray-all pronouns (name and pronouns may change)

This is gonna help me so much and improve on my writing thank youuuuuu!!

7. Loser
    Filipino-twst-supremacy / Jan 01 2022 18.21

When writing in 1st person I try to imagine im actually in their position so everything feels naturual and I minimise from adding detail that doesn't fit in properly for example, actions, speech etc.

A lot of people find writing in 2nd person is tricky and I know it sounds stupid but read fanficts that are like y/n involved in em. (Good idea to avoid the weird ones).

(lets ignore the fact I hate writing in 3rd person and need tips on that because my pieces always turn unreadable, awkward and OveRuSes Of CerTaIn wOrdS BecAuSe I caN't FinD GooD syNonYms Or SomEthiNG tO fiLl iN thE gAps.)

I like to exercise my writing skills by changing perspectives of characters in the story and it helps alot if you have writers block or you need to see the story differently so you see all the options available to carry the story along. It can also open up the traits of different characters to the readers mind and makes them see the story in a way that they haven't seen it before. It can also help with which characters or certain part of the story stand out more than others.

lmao help i cant do 3rd person its hard for me-

8. Lion
    Filipino-twst-supremacy / Jan 01 2022 18.21

When writing in 1st person I try to imagine im actually in their position so everything feels naturual and I minimise from adding detail that doesn't fit in properly for example, actions, speech etc.

A lot of people find writing in 2nd person is tricky and I know it sounds stupid but read fanficts that are like y/n involved in em. (Good idea to avoid the weird ones).

(lets ignore the fact I hate writing in 3rd person and need tips on that because my pieces always turn unreadable, awkward and OveRuSes Of CerTaIn wOrdS BecAuSe I caN't FinD GooD syNonYms Or SomEthiNG tO fiLl iN thE gAps.)

I like to exercise my writing skills by changing perspectives of characters in the story and it helps alot if you have writers block or you need to see the story differently so you see all the options available to carry the story along. It can also open up the traits of different characters to the readers mind and makes them see the story in a way that they haven't seen it before. It can also help with which characters or certain part of the story stand out more than others.

lmao help i cant do 3rd person its hard for me-

BennyWithoutAWaffle / Jan 01 2022 19.30

I struggle to write in 3rd person as well because I find writing in 1st person lets me to connect with the characters much more. One of the reasons I love roleplays is to write in 1st person lol.

9. Wallflower

-Jamie

AlpacaInATrenchcoat / Jan 01 2022 22.58

Okay, I made a slight mistake with how I phrased this. You don’t need to refernece all of these, as sometimes it’s just straight up irrelevant, but thinking about it can be helpful and also referencing at least a few of these can really help make the world seem more real.

-Jamie

10. Loser

I struggle to write in 3rd person as well because I find writing in 1st person lets me to connect with the characters much more. One of the reasons I love roleplays is to write in 1st person lol.

Filipino-twst-supremacy / Jan 06 2022 14.52

Exactly!

11. Sheep

UnderwaterChameleon / Jan 08 2022 18.46

I like to do switching perspective stories (perspective changing every chapter)because of the same reason as I can see the characters from both a first person and third person view

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything