Russia Ukraine: Moscow lists demands for defusing Ukraine tensions

Show
  1. Contemplator
    Flying-Lion / Dec 18 2021 9.26

Russia Ukraine: Moscow lists demands for defusing Ukraine tensions

This was reported 11 hours ago by BBC News. On Monday, a top Russian diplomat held talks with Ukraine's special envoy on the crisis in Crimea on Moscow's terms for de-escalating the spiralling crisis.

Ukraine Foreign Minister Andrii Deshchytsia made the allegation after meeting Russia's Urkaine envoy Mikhail Zurabov.

Mr Deshchytsia said that Moscow had set out "extremely tough conditions" to end the standoff. Mr Zurabov did not confirm the claims but said he had urged Mr Deshchytsia to "remove roadblocks" on Ukraine's side.

Ukraine has described Russia's actions in the Black Sea peninsula as an invasion, but Moscow says they are merely supporting local self-defence units.

Russia annexed the Crimea peninsula last week, following a referendum that backed joining the Russian Federation.

Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov is due in Brussels later for talks with his European counterparts. A senior US official said on Monday that Moscow's claims of protection of ethnic Russians in Crimea were "just a pretext".

The US and EU have imposed travel bans and assets freezes on individuals they suspect of having played a role in stoking the crisis.

"There is no threat to Crimeans' rights to self-determination," Mr Lavrov said. "We simply ask Kiev not to interfere in our actions, including arming ourselves...

What are your opinions on this?

Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the Earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword - Jesus Christ (Matthew 10:34)

This is why I speak to them in parables : "Though seeing, they do not see ; though hearing, they do not hear or understand"- Jesus Christ (Matthew 13:13)

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything