Gorillaz fans? I want to discuss how some parts of Gorillaz is problematic

Show
  1. Headphones
    nepster / Sep 22 2021 19.36

Hi, my intention with this post is not to spoil Gorillaz for anyone, I would just like to discuss my concerns, and hopefully we can talk about it in this thread.

-They called an Asian character Noodle, I know this decision was made 20 years ago but I feel like they would have apologised for it by now if they regretted it.

-I’ve noticed how they animate Osaka (I say Osaka instead of Noodle now because I don’t like the name) with her eyes closed or her eyes covered, which makes me feel uncomfortable and mad.

-I’m not sure if I’m overthinking with this, but with the song machine icons of the characters, they drew Osaka with yellow skin and closed eyes. Which really doesn’t sit right with me.

-They leave Osaka and Russel out sometimes, once again I could be overthinking because it could be nothing to do with the fact that they’re minorities.

-In one Humanz art, they drew Osaka with her teeth out.

-And, I have to be careful with what I say in this because I’m white, so I’m sorry if this comes off me speaking against BLM, it wasn’t my intention, another thing I’ve realised is that most of the time they associate Russel with BLM. Which I think is great, they are speaking for black people and understand that they deserve to be treated equally just as much as white people, but I feel like, most of the time, they really only use Russel when they want to show they agree with BLM, and I wish they would use him more in other content. Because there’s more to black people than just BLM.

These are my concerns about Gorillaz. I do have mixed feelings on Gorillaz right now because they also do a lot of good. This was in no way meant to cancel Gorillaz, I just want to bring awareness and hopefully people would understand where I’m coming from, I think the fandom sweeps things under therug

2. Newbie
    nepster / Sep 22 2021 19.36

Hi, my intention with this post is not to spoil Gorillaz for anyone, I would just like to discuss my concerns, and hopefully we can talk about it in this thread.

-They called an Asian character Noodle, I know this decision was made 20 years ago but I feel like they would have apologised for it by now if they regretted it.

-I’ve noticed how they animate Osaka (I say Osaka instead of Noodle now because I don’t like the name) with her eyes closed or her eyes covered, which makes me feel uncomfortable and mad.

-I’m not sure if I’m overthinking with this, but with the song machine icons of the characters, they drew Osaka with yellow skin and closed eyes. Which really doesn’t sit right with me.

-They leave Osaka and Russel out sometimes, once again I could be overthinking because it could be nothing to do with the fact that they’re minorities.

-In one Humanz art, they drew Osaka with her teeth out.

-And, I have to be careful with what I say in this because I’m white, so I’m sorry if this comes off me speaking against BLM, it wasn’t my intention, another thing I’ve realised is that most of the time they associate Russel with BLM. Which I think is great, they are speaking for black people and understand that they deserve to be treated equally just as much as white people, but I feel like, most of the time, they really only use Russel when they want to show they agree with BLM, and I wish they would use him more in other content. Because there’s more to black people than just BLM.

These are my concerns about Gorillaz. I do have mixed feelings on Gorillaz right now because they also do a lot of good. This was in no way meant to cancel Gorillaz, I just want to bring awareness and hopefully people would understand where I’m coming from, I think the fandom sweeps things under therug

Reading-Sheep / Oct 10 2021 9.18

Thank you for letting me know about your worries.

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything