I Feel Like My ED Isn't Serious Enough

Reading this content might be upsetting and trigger difficult feelings and emotions if you have experienced these events or feelings in the past

Go to Eating problems

Show
  1. Fixer
    TheLonelyGirlXOX / Sep 21 2021 20.35

Hey,

I suffer with anorexia, but I feel like it's not serious because:

- I am still eating nearly everyday

- I am still a healthy weight

- I have never been Hospitalized

- I have never been tube fed

My friends say that it's not serious enough,, and I am starting to agree.

- Taylor

2. Childline Avatar
    Temporary22099628 / Sep 21 2021 21.52

Hey

i never usually reply to these messages but i relate to yours a lot. im not sure if this will help you but i just wanted to let you know that youre not alone!

i know online it can seem like everyone with anorexia in the universe had been tube fed in hospital and while i too have a hard time believing it, you have to remember that actually most people with AN never go to hospital. i have AN too and i have never been to hospital either or been tube fed and sometimes the feeling of not being sick enough feels like its eating me up inside. when i was at my worst i never went more than 18 hours without food because i wasnt able too because of my family, maybe your situation is something similar? going to hospital or being underweight is in no way a measure of the severity of your illness, there are many factors as to why someone might be hospitalised and this isnt just because of their weight. it is also about how supportive their family is or other mental issues they are having such as self-harm and many other reasons. another thing which you have probably heard a million times before is that you will never feel sick enough, this is how people die from this disorder. even the girls with tubes up their noses in hospital who we are guilty of looking up to probably feel no more valid than we do right now. you have suffered enough.

also if your friends are claiming that you arent sick enough, they are encouraging this self-destrictive behaviour. you could try talking to them about your feelings but im not sure that your relationship with them sounds very positive at the moment

3. Childline Avatar
    Temporary582929316 / Sep 22 2021 19.33

Hey I’ve been following your story for a while and your ED seems pretty severe. Your weight is irrelevant in how severe your Ed is because it still causes severe psychological and physical stress. Your friends are wrong and anyways your should not have to prove yourself to anyone. All these things you have listed don’t make you valid and deserving of help. I’ve had all of them done to me and I still feel as invalid as you Hope this helps S

4. Childline Avatar

Hey,

- Taylor

Temporary99606007 / Sep 24 2021 1.33

I relate so much I have made myself sick for three years now no one knows it’s on and of but regular it never makes me loose weight so I don’t know why I do it but I don’t feel like it’s serious enough to talk about idk

5. Spiralling
    hahaichtwice / Sep 29 2021 18.34

Your eating disorder is valid. I know it seems like lots of people who have anorexia get hospitalised and tube fed, but actually, only a small potion of people with anorexia get to this point. Anorexia is not a weight disorder, it’s a mental disorder. Even if you are a healthy weight, your eating disorder is valid. You are valid.

6. Fixer

Hey,

- Taylor

rinsabitsus / Oct 19 2021 14.44

hii i'm rin and i have anorexia too and i relate to this alot :( i know a few people who also have anorexia but none of them have ever been to hospital for it/have been tube fed but i always worry that like idk its not worth being worried about because theres people with way worse cases than i have and that mines not serious? i think the thoughts are worse then the actual anorexia and they cause me not to eat alot/make myself sick when i do eat :(

i hope you have a good day <33

-rin

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything