Binding While Being Active

Show
  1. Loser
    stuck-in-combat7 / Sep 21 2021 16.43

Hello, I'm Anthony (not using my real name for anonymity) and I'm a trans guy. I've been binding with sports bras for as long as I can remember. However, in the last year or so, I've had a bit of a growth spurt and I don't know how well they fit me or how well they act as binders. Now, I'm also involved in a lot of physical activity like football, athletics, cadets, etc. When I bind during sport, it severely limits my performance because I'm always short of breath. If I don't bind, I sort of just hunch into myself and try not to move a lot because my chest isn't flat enough or when I do bind, I can't breathe; both of which mean I can't perform well in physical activity. I'll be so glad anyone has a solution, or just some advice for this. Cheers guys.

2. Sheep
    ClaudeTheDetective / Sep 21 2021 21.14

You could maybe try buying a bigger size. I've seen binder shops reccomend using a size bigger for physical actibity to allow you to breathe more.

3. Childline Avatar
    GlitteryPosingDuck2105 / Sep 23 2021 19.53

Hi anthony, I'm Eli, I was in the same situation as you up until recently, it may sound stupid but I would do breathing exercises whilst stretching before I did any sport (I do up to county level hockey) and it really helped with being able to breathe in my binder whilst being active, it doesn't work for everyone but it works really well for me and I hope it works for you too if you decide to give it go. You're not alone Anthony.

4. Loser
    ClaudeTheDetective / Sep 21 2021 21.14

You could maybe try buying a bigger size. I've seen binder shops reccomend using a size bigger for physical actibity to allow you to breathe more.

stuck-in-combat7 / Sep 26 2021 17.14

Cheers mate, but unfortunately I can’t buy any binders (I have transphobic parents and I’m not out to them). But that‘s some stuff I’ll keep in mind for later, so thanks :)

5. Loser
    GlitteryPosingDuck2105 / Sep 23 2021 19.53

Hi anthony, I'm Eli, I was in the same situation as you up until recently, it may sound stupid but I would do breathing exercises whilst stretching before I did any sport (I do up to county level hockey) and it really helped with being able to breathe in my binder whilst being active, it doesn't work for everyone but it works really well for me and I hope it works for you too if you decide to give it go. You're not alone Anthony.

stuck-in-combat7 / Sep 26 2021 17.16

I haven’t tried that before so I’ll give that a go, thanks Eli. It means a lot to hear you were in a similar situation, I hope things are going well for you. I’ve never played hockey, but it looks cool and good luck :)

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything