Body image and school

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    Temporary01329870 / Sep 06 2021 16.23

Hi, to remain anomynous my name is Grace, at the moment my body image has been really messed up. Outside of school i like how i look (most of the time), however i feel like how i look changes so drastically as soon as i step through the gates. I feel like a whale compared to everyone else, like the ugly and disgusting friend. In reality i wouldnt consider myself overwwight or plus size, im a UK 8. However, i hate the way i feel at school like everyone is watching me and i need to look a certain way. Not just looks but i also obsess over how i act and things i say because im worried ill be harrasef if i do/ say something weird. Like i said, im confident in my body image at home, i like my style and how i look. In th morning when i put my uniform on i feel confident and happy and feel like i look goof but as soon as i enter school i feel like ive diubled in size and im ugly. Also, i feel so different in ohotos then in my mirror, i felt bad recentky as i asked my friend to take down a photo of me in a bikini because the look of it made me feel physically sick. I get told by people that im ‘gorgeous’ but i dont believe it. I dont know if yhis would be considered body dysmorphia but i decided i needed to let it out so thank you for reading,

lots of love

Grace xxx

2. Childline Avatar
    MusicalRunningPuffin1692 / Sep 06 2021 20.00

hii i feel the exact same way dont feel like your alone i stress over what people can see and how they see me inverted and everything u mentioned i refuse to take pictures and i avoid mirrors or even looking at how i look in school i get bullied for being “fat” which im rlly not its just a “joke” but it makes me feel disgusting i want to throw up i hope ur okay!!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

3. Gamer
    Temporary01329870 / Sep 06 2021 16.23

Hi, to remain anomynous my name is Grace, at the moment my body image has been really messed up. Outside of school i like how i look (most of the time), however i feel like how i look changes so drastically as soon as i step through the gates. I feel like a whale compared to everyone else, like the ugly and disgusting friend. In reality i wouldnt consider myself overwwight or plus size, im a UK 8. However, i hate the way i feel at school like everyone is watching me and i need to look a certain way. Not just looks but i also obsess over how i act and things i say because im worried ill be harrasef if i do/ say something weird. Like i said, im confident in my body image at home, i like my style and how i look. In th morning when i put my uniform on i feel confident and happy and feel like i look goof but as soon as i enter school i feel like ive diubled in size and im ugly. Also, i feel so different in ohotos then in my mirror, i felt bad recentky as i asked my friend to take down a photo of me in a bikini because the look of it made me feel physically sick. I get told by people that im ‘gorgeous’ but i dont believe it. I dont know if yhis would be considered body dysmorphia but i decided i needed to let it out so thank you for reading,

lots of love

Grace xxx

Amiexoxoxoxoxo / Sep 08 2021 16.38

Well, i have the same problem, but hope u are well

lots of love Amie xx

4. Gamer
    Amiexoxoxoxoxo / Sep 08 2021 16.42

Hello, to remain anonymous, i am Amie, i am having trouble thinking positively about my body image, i really feel as if someone is watching me and spreading rumours about me, but anyways, hope yor all doing well.

lots of love

Amie xx

5. Childline Avatar
    SilverReadingWolf2369 / Sep 28 2021 17.49

Hi I'm Hannah. I know exactly how you're all feeling, i know and understand how it feels to constantly be anxious and alert about myself and the way I act and talk. This if i'm being honest doesn't reassure me that I'm not alone in these feelings but upsets me that others feel this way about themselves. But what I think is important to remember if so many of us young people hate the way we look and constantly feel judged by others, then doesn't that show that no-one really is paying as much attention to your appearance as you might think. We are all too busy stressing about ourselves and our own bodies.

Please understand that these thoughts really are just your own thoughts, they are not true. You think people think these things but it's actually just you, and sometimes we get it wrong. Every single human being is beautiful in different ways, that is honestly what I believe. YOU LOOK AMAZING, please remember that and please be mindful though about what you say to others about the way they look because you don't know whose listening or how someone might react.

Just be yourself, because there really is no point wasting your school years thinking about these damaging thoughts. And if you do find that it becomes too much please talk to someone, either a trusted adult or friend, ask Sam or have a 1-2-1 councilor session, or even just come on these chat boards. Your feelings are important and shouldn't be pushed aside.

Thank you and I hope you are all doing well.

Hannah xx

6. Childline Avatar
    aalibali13 / Sep 29 2021 19.21

Hi, I'm aali. I dont know where to start. Over the past week i have felt a rush of feelings and a slow but obvious decline in my happiness. I can't remember what set it off but it was something to do with my body image. I remember feeling so sick as I lay in my bed about how i looked, i cringed at the fact my thighs had the audacity to touch. I don't know what it was but it was something and usually these things happen every so often and i tune back into my television and the thoughts leave my mind but as i said its lasted for over a week. I have always had body issues, my thighs specifically, my friends when i was younger were skinnier than me, now i have friends who aren't necessarily skinnier than me but i weigh a stone more than them and i know it is because im am 6,7,8 or so inches taller than them but the thought is forever in the back of my head, eating away at my ability to stand in a room with other people. I personally lost weight recently only a few pounds or so but i noticed a difference in myself, i felt better physically and mentally too because it was through a healthy way, i went walks with my family and took pride in cooking nice healthy meals becasue i love to cook, but now... i feel like ive gained back all that weight and more and feel like my only option is unhealthy methods. I dont really know what i want anyone to do or say but i feel im sleeping into bad habits and i dont knwo what to do. im scared and ive thought about talking to someone in my family about it like my mum but when i pretend she is sitting infront of me and i run through what id start the conversation off with, i cant get more than two sentences in without crying. im scared and i dont know what to do.

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything