Opening up to parents/guardians

Show
  1. Headphones
    livlovescrackers / Sep 02 2021 23.35

hi im liv, im only 13 and just about to go into year9.

for the past year or so ive struggled with my body image. everytime i look in the mirror, i’d always turn to the side and see what my stomach looks like, and then i would ‘suck it in’ to see how it would look the way i want it. my friends and family see me as a thin or skinny girl, but i cant see myself that way. i compare myself to models or other people my age, sometimes even my best friend or my sister (whos 19 and has a perfect figure). i also struggle with my face shap, face ‘fat‘ and my forehead. i always try to tense my jaw (if that makes sense?) to see my jawline. it works on my left and a little bit on my right. ive googled tons of ways to loose face ‘fat’ too.

as i mentioned in the beginning, im only 13 and my body is still changing due to puberty and moving on to adulthood. ive had a boy, my age, stop me in the school corridor and call me ‘flat’ they thought it was funny and i just walked off. i can be a bit sensitive so i didnt show any emotion but it was all in my head how i felt after that comment. i kept wishing i had the ‘beauty standard body’.

anyways, the point of this is that im sick of all of this and i want to try focus on my education a little more but its hard when i have all of this going on in my head. i want to speak to my mum about it but i know i’ll end up crying in the first sentence. i also would like to ask her if i can get tested for BDD (body dysmorphic disorder).

does anyone have any tips/advice on how to tell and ask her, and also how should i start the conversation?

sorry this is so long, any help is appreciated <3 - liv

2. Loser

for the past year or so ive struggled with my body image. everytime i look in the mirror, i’d always turn to the side and see what my stomach looks like, and then i would ‘suck it in’ to see how it would look the way i want it. my friends and family see me as a thin or skinny girl, but i cant see myself that way. i compare myself to models or other people my age, sometimes even my best friend or my sister (whos 19 and has a perfect figure). i also struggle with my face shap, face ‘fat‘ and my forehead. i always try to tense my jaw (if that makes sense?) to see my jawline. it works on my left and a little bit on my right. ive googled tons of ways to loose face ‘fat’ too.

as i mentioned in the beginning, im only 13 and my body is still changing due to puberty and moving on to adulthood. ive had a boy, my age, stop me in the school corridor and call me ‘flat’ they thought it was funny and i just walked off. i can be a bit sensitive so i didnt show any emotion but it was all in my head how i felt after that comment. i kept wishing i had the ‘beauty standard body’.

anyways, the point of this is that im sick of all of this and i want to try focus on my education a little more but its hard when i have all of this going on in my head. i want to speak to my mum about it but i know i’ll end up crying in the first sentence. i also would like to ask her if i can get tested for BDD (body dysmorphic disorder).

does anyone have any tips/advice on how to tell and ask her, and also how should i start the conversation?

Sw1mm1ngGS / Sep 04 2021 22.30

im sorry i don’t have any advice but i feel exactly the same!

3. Loser

Sw1mm1ngGS / Sep 04 2021 22.31

But also pick the right time if you want to talk to your mum.

4. Childline Avatar
    Temporary01329870 / Sep 06 2021 16.27

Hi Liv!

Omg i relate to this so much, i am always so self conscious of my face ‘fat’ and am alwyas obsessing ovee my stomach. ive tried so mant ab workouts but in the middle of working out i get such a feeling of hopelessness that ill never look different. I just wanted you to know your not alone school is such a toxic place and the way it makes me feel about my body is horrible. Hope your doing ok, i feel like i could have Body dysmorphia aswell, sneding love,

Ella, 14

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything