Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    priittykiitty / Sep 01 2021 12.56

hi! im going into sixth form and im taking biology but im really worried about it as its supposed to be really difficult! if anyone who has taken a level biology or psychology is reading this, i would really appreciate if you could give me any advice for getting good grades etc that has helped you! also, do you have to print out your exam specification, or can you buy it anywhere? as ive found mine but its 150 pages !!

thank you so much :)

2. Butterfly
    priittykiitty / Sep 01 2021 12.56

hi! im going into sixth form and im taking biology but im really worried about it as its supposed to be really difficult! if anyone who has taken a level biology or psychology is reading this, i would really appreciate if you could give me any advice for getting good grades etc that has helped you! also, do you have to print out your exam specification, or can you buy it anywhere? as ive found mine but its 150 pages !!

thank you so much :)

cosmicmoonlight / Sep 11 2021 0.49

hey there! i'm in year 13 at the moment and i take biology, chemistry and psychology, you don't really have to print out the whole of the specification however if you think it would help you with things such as checking off what topics you are good with as you go along, then feel free but you can always just look at it online

ive found that with a level bio, the mark scheme is REALLY specific ie they dont give you a mark if u dont use a specific word!! even if u get the whole idea, so i have found that it is useful to look at a lot of past papers and mark schemes, you dont even really have to complete past papers under timed conditions if u dont want but i think looking at the markschemes is very worth while as then you know exactly what the examiner is looking for :)

psychology is very content heavy so i would definitely say to keep on top of all your notes and revision as you go along! you dont wanna be sat there with a psych exam in like 2 days with loads of content, research and case studies and evaluative points to try and get in your head! i have also got a lot of 16/16 on my 16 markers and ive found it extremely useful to follow a specific structure to your 16mark essays: first paragraph should be a general overview of the topic the 16mark q is about, if its a stem question (a stem is when a question has a scenario attached to it, followed by a question to do with the content) then the next paragraph should include quotes from the stem as evidence to support the first paragraph (a bit like the evidence part of PEE) and then you need to do 4 evaluation paragraphs. keep asking urself 'what does this show?' - if there isnt a stem just do the first para and 4 eval paras :)

hope this helps and wasn't too confusing or scary!! xx

3. Childline Avatar
    cosmicmoonlight / Sep 11 2021 0.49

hey there! i'm in year 13 at the moment and i take biology, chemistry and psychology, you don't really have to print out the whole of the specification however if you think it would help you with things such as checking off what topics you are good with as you go along, then feel free but you can always just look at it online

ive found that with a level bio, the mark scheme is REALLY specific ie they dont give you a mark if u dont use a specific word!! even if u get the whole idea, so i have found that it is useful to look at a lot of past papers and mark schemes, you dont even really have to complete past papers under timed conditions if u dont want but i think looking at the markschemes is very worth while as then you know exactly what the examiner is looking for :)

psychology is very content heavy so i would definitely say to keep on top of all your notes and revision as you go along! you dont wanna be sat there with a psych exam in like 2 days with loads of content, research and case studies and evaluative points to try and get in your head! i have also got a lot of 16/16 on my 16 markers and ive found it extremely useful to follow a specific structure to your 16mark essays: first paragraph should be a general overview of the topic the 16mark q is about, if its a stem question (a stem is when a question has a scenario attached to it, followed by a question to do with the content) then the next paragraph should include quotes from the stem as evidence to support the first paragraph (a bit like the evidence part of PEE) and then you need to do 4 evaluation paragraphs. keep asking urself 'what does this show?' - if there isnt a stem just do the first para and 4 eval paras :)

hope this helps and wasn't too confusing or scary!! xx

priittykiitty / Sep 28 2021 20.36

ahh thank you so so much!! and the advice you gave is really helpful !

so far im finding psychology quite easy its just the amount of content thats tricky! theres already so much work i need to catch up on and i need to go over everything we’ve covered in bio pretty much as im finding it quite confusing ahh. but thank you so much for your help, i’ll defintely use your tips! good luck with your a levels:))

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything