Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    The-Sad-Optimist / Aug 16 2021 20.33

im 14 and ive never had a drink. never. and i feel so left out. all my friends, even those who i wouldnt expect, have had a drink at some point and in some manner and i never have. my parents are very very protective and kind of strict, and i know that theyd notice if i had had a drink straight away. i dont want to end up in a situation when i have no idea what to do when a drink is given to me. it makes me feel stupid and boring and disappointing. idk what to do. can anyone help?

ella, she/her

2. Childline Avatar
    lemonade88 / Aug 17 2021 19.04

Hi. As you're probably aware, the legal drinking age in the UK is 18. None of your friends should be drinking alcohol. I understand why you may feel left out if you're not doing the things your friends are, but that's not a bad thing. It isn't worth breaking the law or getting yourself into trouble for people that are supposed to be your friends. I'm almost 18 and I've never had a drop of alcohol, that doesn't make me boring, it doesn't make anyone boring. You don't need to drink alcohol to have fun, and you shouldn't listen to anyone that tells you otherwise. If your friends ever peer pressure you, or make you feel like you're boring for not drinking, I'd consider talking to them and telling them how you feel. Anyone who is a true friend would accept you for not drinking alcohol, because there is so much more to life than this. Stay safe!

3. Butterfly
    Powerfuldancingdonkey / Aug 19 2021 23.55

hey i get it mat be exciting and a new thing x also peer pressure added but you are only 14 and if you think about it you have loads of years to try it so do not rush to it!

4. Coolcat
    Squooshcat / Sep 07 2021 21.27

Have a bottle of shlur or and alcahol free beer/wine/etc trust me it will change your life!

Hope this helped,

Squooshcat 🐱

5. Contemplator
    BusySkatingEagle7223 / Sep 13 2021 4.47

As a person who did drink age 14, it's not a good idea to try it when you're so young, trust me. You're not stupid or boring for taking your time and waiting until it's legal because after all it is the law, and funnily enough those regulations are there for a reason. So don't worry too much about being "out of the loop," so to speak. Drink when you feel able to and when it's safe and responsible to do so, and just because there's a social pressure to drink doesn't mean it's right or good to do so.

Also, alcohol isn't really that interesting or mind-blowing of an experience. Plus, unless you really like bitter stuff it's going to taste awful, so I wouldn't even bother drinking it until you're 18 anyway, just because of the taste. Fan-fiction, movies and music tends to glorify the stuff to no end, but getting drunk isn't particularly fun. It can also damage your body and brain in the long term, so please just wait until you're 18 or even later. After all, they don't say you should "drink responsibly" for nothing.

Hope this helps a little.

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything