My experience with 1-2-1 chats

Show
  1. Wallflower
    AlpacaInATrenchcoat / Aug 07 2021 0.22

Hi. I’m Conner, and I’ve been using Childline for over a year now. I use it to be myself, as I’m a queer trans autistic person with mental health problems. I’ve never called into Childline, as I don’t have the ability to due to a lask of sound proofing in our house (seriously, I can hear just about any conversation going on from our kitchen) and also due me living in the middle of nowehere so we don’t get phone reception.

Due to that, I‘ve used the 1-2-1 chats to get support from Childline. I also mainly use them at night so there’s a much lower chance my parents would find out as I’ve had some pretty close calls in the past. For the most part I’ve had a pretty solid experience, however I have had some less than great ones as well. I’ve seen a lot of epople post both good and bad things about the chats on here, so I thought I’d give my experience as I’ve been on here for a while now.

Most of the time, they’re great. The answers do sometimes sound like they’re coming from a robot (no offence), but I’ve had a few councillors who’ve been very willing to listen to me ramble about my problems.

However, I have had some not so great ones. I’ve had several councillors rush me, and if I take more than about a minute to type out a reply the ask if I’m still there. I’m not a super fast typer, and I do struggle a lot to explain my thoughts, so they tend to be pretty long winded explanations or metaphors. This is just very stressful. I had a councillor straight up exit the chat halfway through, although I wonder if they had a powercut or something which caused them to suddenly drop out... (TBC)

2. Wallflower
    AlpacaInATrenchcoat / Aug 16 2021 21.13

...but it was very annoying.

I also once had to explain what an alter was to a counciller. I‘m used to having to explain things like dissociative disorders to people, however I think a counciller should know what an alternis, as I have seen several systems use Childline for support. DID and OSDD-1 aren’t exactly common, but at the same time because of that people use things like Childline for help, and I have seen at least 5 systems (not including myself) on here before, and if you’re trying to talk to someone who’s meant to listen and help you when you’re having issues with an alter or maybe you remembered something caused by amnesia then the last thing you’re going to want to do is having to do a full explanation on what an alter is.

I don’t know what training happens for someone to become a Childline counciller, however I think this is something they should know. I’m not critisising the counciller as they were lovely, I just thought it was kinda wierd they didn’t know what an alter was. I’d understand if they didn’t know what an innerworld was, or different types of alters, but the should at least know what a system is, probably why they’re formed (it’s such a stigmatised disorder that I feel that it should be explained that a system is formed from repeated childhood trama as a coping mechanism), what an alter is, and also words like fronting and switching.

If anyone from Childline is reading this, I hope this doesn’t come off as rude or anything, I just beleive this is important and that I get you can’t teach councillers about every mental disorder there is, it’s just DID is a pretty important one in my opinion.

-Conner

3. Spiralling
    TheEntitySystem / Aug 31 2021 2.00

Ugh, that must've been super annoying 😩

The councilors would probably know about DID and OSDD. And yeah, DID is pretty important, pal (ノ^_^)ノ

-Mick, a new alter that switched in just to annoy the host (‾▿‾)

4. Wallflower
    AlpacaInATrenchcoat / Aug 31 2021 23.45

It kinda was lol. I understand them not knowing about OSDD, however I think DID is common enough on the sight for them to actually know about it.

-Conner

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything