Want to convert to muslim

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    WarmWorkingPanda7368 / Jun 14 2021 16.32

Hi, I just wanted your help.

I'm an 11 year old who wants to convert to muslim. I've been brought up with no religion at home, but in school everyone has to pray to god and its pretty christian. I dont know any muslims and especially no kids who are muslim. I've done loads of research on it but I have no idea how to tell my parents and i dont know if driends would judge me! Also I'm going up to secondary school very soon so I have no idea what that will do to my life! I knwo what other schools are going there, and I'm pretty sure no one is muslim. My community has basically no muslims but I feel like I need to convert. Please help!!!

2. Childline Avatar
    rsbci576 / Jul 16 2021 17.54

hi I am a muslim and honestly people could judge you at the start but because they would find it a big change but they will get used to the idea and I think in the long run you will be happier and mire confident if you convert as it is only a temporary fear. I suggest dont tell everyone at once and kind of build up on the idea of you becoming a muslim so tour parents and friends can understand quicker, but I hope you do succeed and I am sure you will find more peace in converting to islam sooner rather than later. Good Luck x

3. Contemplator
    BuddyBooToYou / Jul 17 2021 18.21

If it ever gets too much you can talk to childline. They are really helpful and will be there for you if you need it.

4. Childline Avatar
    rsbci576 / Jul 16 2021 17.54

hi I am a muslim and honestly people could judge you at the start but because they would find it a big change but they will get used to the idea and I think in the long run you will be happier and mire confident if you convert as it is only a temporary fear. I suggest dont tell everyone at once and kind of build up on the idea of you becoming a muslim so tour parents and friends can understand quicker, but I hope you do succeed and I am sure you will find more peace in converting to islam sooner rather than later. Good Luck x

WarmWorkingPanda7368 / Jul 27 2021 8.23

Thanks so much! Do you have any tips on how to tell my parents? Thats what I’m most stuck on! Also sorry I meant convert to islam lol i thought i knew about it but rlly ive learnt so much more since then. Thanks again!

5. Childline Avatar
    WarmWorkingPanda7368 / Jul 27 2021 8.27

Oh and also, at what age should I start wearing the hijab? As I said, I’m eleven now so yeah, I cant really tell from the internet.

6. Newbie
    WarmWorkingPanda7368 / Jun 14 2021 16.32

Hi, I just wanted your help.

I'm an 11 year old who wants to convert to muslim. I've been brought up with no religion at home, but in school everyone has to pray to god and its pretty christian. I dont know any muslims and especially no kids who are muslim. I've done loads of research on it but I have no idea how to tell my parents and i dont know if driends would judge me! Also I'm going up to secondary school very soon so I have no idea what that will do to my life! I knwo what other schools are going there, and I'm pretty sure no one is muslim. My community has basically no muslims but I feel like I need to convert. Please help!!!

Reading-Sheep / Aug 01 2021 21.29

You can call Childline at 0800 1111 about it. Childline can offer you helpful advice and if anyone judges in a bad way you for being a muslim or for wanting to be a muslim, you can remind them that Islam is the fastest growing religion and billions of people are muslims.

Try your best not to worry about it but some people might judge you at first.

But they will be used to it over time and I think it is a good choice to make.

Hope this helps!

7. Loser
    WarmWorkingPanda7368 / Jul 27 2021 8.27

Oh and also, at what age should I start wearing the hijab? As I said, I’m eleven now so yeah, I cant really tell from the internet.

DaniTheGirl-DannyTheBoy / Aug 02 2021 14.07

hey

you can start wearing the hijab at whatever age, whenever you feel comfortable :) my friends started wearing theirs at the end of primary and i started wearing mine at the beginning of year 7. i personally found it quite easy as ive been raised as a Muslim, but like you said you dont know any Muslims so some people might judge you at the start. if they do (i hope not) just say non Muslims can wear scarves around their heads too! and then you dont need to waste your time on them ts really not a big deal. hope this helped!

8. Childline Avatar
    DaniTheGirl-DannyTheBoy / Aug 02 2021 14.07

hey

you can start wearing the hijab at whatever age, whenever you feel comfortable :) my friends started wearing theirs at the end of primary and i started wearing mine at the beginning of year 7. i personally found it quite easy as ive been raised as a Muslim, but like you said you dont know any Muslims so some people might judge you at the start. if they do (i hope not) just say non Muslims can wear scarves around their heads too! and then you dont need to waste your time on them ts really not a big deal. hope this helped!

WarmWorkingPanda7368 / Aug 04 2021 16.59

Thanks! I'm going up to year seven next term, after the holidays so I guess if I do convert I'll be wearing it right away or soon after when I convert. I think it'd be easier to settle in with the hijab and let everyone new know me with the hijab instead of starting to make friends and then suddenly wearing it. I'm also going to try and find someone else muslim in the school, because I think being friends witha muslim would be a great way to start off. That would be perfect for me.

9. Loser
    DaniTheGirl-DannyTheBoy / Aug 09 2021 0.01

hi

im so glad my advice helped! and yeah since you'll be meeting loads of new people it'll be easier to settle in with a hijab. and getting friends who follow the same faith is helpful, you can talk about stuff together, two of my close friends are Muslim.

good luck, hope it works out well for you!!

-Emily xxx

10. Childline Avatar
    WarmWorkingPanda7368 / Aug 22 2021 10.53

I have good news! I've finally told one of my two best friends about my thoughts, and my older sister and older cousin. Now I've only got my other close friend left to tell before I attempt my parents... I dont think I'm going to manage to revert before term starts - I have less than 2 weeks left of holidays! I really hope that I can tell them soon though. I also have a few questions. My family is very musical (they love music) and I've played the harp since I was tiny. Do I need to give it up and if so how do I tell them?! Also, what do I do about school uniform, as I need to wear a polo shirt. If I do wear the hijab, then should I keep a school jumper on constantly? And in pe they will make us wear super short skorts... What do you wear in school? Last question: How on earth do I learn how to pray in arabic??????? It sounds almost funny because I'm hopeless with memorising stuff and especially in a different language!

11. Loser
    WarmWorkingPanda7368 / Aug 22 2021 10.53

I have good news! I've finally told one of my two best friends about my thoughts, and my older sister and older cousin. Now I've only got my other close friend left to tell before I attempt my parents... I dont think I'm going to manage to revert before term starts - I have less than 2 weeks left of holidays! I really hope that I can tell them soon though. I also have a few questions. My family is very musical (they love music) and I've played the harp since I was tiny. Do I need to give it up and if so how do I tell them?! Also, what do I do about school uniform, as I need to wear a polo shirt. If I do wear the hijab, then should I keep a school jumper on constantly? And in pe they will make us wear super short skorts... What do you wear in school? Last question: How on earth do I learn how to pray in arabic??????? It sounds almost funny because I'm hopeless with memorising stuff and especially in a different language!

DaniTheGirl-DannyTheBoy / Aug 23 2021 0.51

thats great that youve told some people already! im proud of you xx

firstly, i want to point out that lots of Muslims are different, it depends on how you were raised how strict your parent(s) are about certain things. my parents dont have strict customs theyre only strict about actual religion. since youre a convert its up to you how strict you want to be.

1. no, you dont need to give up playing the harp! i have a Muslim family and we all listen to music, i own a keyboard and ukulele so its fine.

2. again, like i said with the strictness. if its really hot ill take off my jumper (but thats not coz of religion thats coz im insecure) but if you'd rather not show your arms thats fine. my friends dont but they have stricter customs than me.

3. one thing that IS important is the thing with the skorts. muslim girls arent meant to show their legs, so maybe you can ask the school if you can wear tracksuit bottoms instead? i wear them though theyre already part of my PE uniform. since its for religious reasons im sure they'd let you.

4. im not sure how to help you with this one, but seriously? dont worry. you can find the pronunciations online and no one will hear you anyway. its not a big deal if youre struggling to pronounce things so long as youre trying. my mum was a convert too (she converted in her early 20s) but you cant tell, she reads/speaks Arabic so well.

when youre praying whilst still learning it, you can print out sheets with the Arabic/pronunciation/translation on it and put it in front of you while you pay so you can look at it. also, practice it.

hope this helps! let me know whenever you need anything xx

-Emily :)

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything