Show
  1. Butterfly
    Ambrrrr / Jun 06 2021 19.23

Hi,

I am 13 years old (in year 8) and I have these tests coming up called the PPE's. I am terrified for them. I normally get anxious and have panic attacks due to small tests, even just for vocabulary in my language subjects so I am really scared. As I missed the end of year 7 I have never sat these exams before and they are important for sets.

I am in the top sets for most subjects. Luckily, my family aren't pushy about getting good grades they don't really mind how I do but I still get worried I will disappoint them and myself. I believe I shouldn't be in my sets as everyone else is smarter than me. I feel silly about feeling this way because I shouldn't and it is weird.

I know everyone will say don't worry but the problem is I can't get my mind off it. When I try doing something else I start physically shaking, feeling sick and start to uncontrollably cry. I really don't know what to do at this point because t is just taking me over. It is a horrible feeling and I hate it so so much.

Writing this now is making me feel really embarrassed. If anyone knows how to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm so sorry.

xx

2. Childline Avatar
    BouncyVibingBadger2773 / Jun 08 2021 16.41

Hi I'm in the exact same position as you. I have exams going on right now. (They are horrible). Also like you I am in top set so the pressure is a lot. I hate exams they make me want to just cry.

All you can do is your best. Feeling nervous and getting upset about exams aren't worth the stress. Its good your parents arent pushy. But nor are mine but maybe you don't but I still feel this expectation that they have of me and if I fail that they will think I am a failure. As I have said before all you can do is your best. Preparing for the exam such as revising will help with your confidence. I advise that when you get given your paper and you start panicking you should breathe in and breathe out. Sounds cringy but it honestly works. I really do hope this has helped. Good luck with your exams x

3. Butterfly
    BouncyVibingBadger2773 / Jun 08 2021 16.41

Hi I'm in the exact same position as you. I have exams going on right now. (They are horrible). Also like you I am in top set so the pressure is a lot. I hate exams they make me want to just cry.

All you can do is your best. Feeling nervous and getting upset about exams aren't worth the stress. Its good your parents arent pushy. But nor are mine but maybe you don't but I still feel this expectation that they have of me and if I fail that they will think I am a failure. As I have said before all you can do is your best. Preparing for the exam such as revising will help with your confidence. I advise that when you get given your paper and you start panicking you should breathe in and breathe out. Sounds cringy but it honestly works. I really do hope this has helped. Good luck with your exams x

Ambrrrr / Jun 08 2021 17.22

Thank you for the reply, I will try this. I'm glad someone feels the same as me!

Good luck with your exams too! x

4. Scientist

Hi,

I am 13 years old (in year 8) and I have these tests coming up called the PPE's. I am terrified for them. I normally get anxious and have panic attacks due to small tests, even just for vocabulary in my language subjects so I am really scared. As I missed the end of year 7 I have never sat these exams before and they are important for sets.

I am in the top sets for most subjects. Luckily, my family aren't pushy about getting good grades they don't really mind how I do but I still get worried I will disappoint them and myself. I believe I shouldn't be in my sets as everyone else is smarter than me. I feel silly about feeling this way because I shouldn't and it is weird.

I know everyone will say don't worry but the problem is I can't get my mind off it. When I try doing something else I start physically shaking, feeling sick and start to uncontrollably cry. I really don't know what to do at this point because t is just taking me over. It is a horrible feeling and I hate it so so much.

Writing this now is making me feel really embarrassed. If anyone knows how to help me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm so sorry.

xx

kiwipenguins / Jun 08 2021 20.20

Hi, I’m in year 10 and i’ve dealt with this issue a lot. i ended up not trying, getting out of the tests and just sit there or just leaving the room. (spoiler, bad idea) talk to your head of year/house or a teacher you trust, explain that you feel anxious about test taking and explain what happens. they may let you take your tests in a separate room on your own so that if you begin to panic, you can take your time. I tend to worry because of the environment tests are set in, not the tests themselves - so sitting in a separate rooms comes really helpful to me. Talking to a teacher, if you’re not fond of this idea they can help you find other ways to take the tests, in a way that works for you. - kiwi

5. Butterfly
    kiwipenguins / Jun 08 2021 20.20

Hi, I’m in year 10 and i’ve dealt with this issue a lot. i ended up not trying, getting out of the tests and just sit there or just leaving the room. (spoiler, bad idea) talk to your head of year/house or a teacher you trust, explain that you feel anxious about test taking and explain what happens. they may let you take your tests in a separate room on your own so that if you begin to panic, you can take your time. I tend to worry because of the environment tests are set in, not the tests themselves - so sitting in a separate rooms comes really helpful to me. Talking to a teacher, if you’re not fond of this idea they can help you find other ways to take the tests, in a way that works for you. - kiwi

Ambrrrr / Jun 09 2021 17.12

Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply, I really appreciate it . I often worry about getting upset and panic in front of everyone so I will talk to a teacher and see if we could do this as I think it would help me a lot!

xx

6. Childline Avatar

Hi,

xx

DazzlingWalkingKoala6903 / Sep 08 2021 14.56

hi i have the same exact thing during exams and i'm year 8 as well but i dont know what to do i feel so bad for myself and i sometimes tell myself if i fail then i wont get my dream job when i grow up and my parents will be so disappointed in me and i fell that everyone is smart why am i not like them cause some of the quiestions i just dont undertsand and i still dont know what to do everyone be like its ok just dont worry about it its just an exam if you do better you will get good grades but i cant cintrol myself :(

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything