Feel like my ed isn't valid / bad enough

Show
  1. Butterfly
    daisyy2002 / May 23 2021 16.19

hello, i've struggled with the symptoms of anorexia and binge ed for about 3 years (i'm 16 now), and i've never felt 'sick enough' mainly bc of the binging and the fact i'm above a healthy weight, but last year i managed to tell my mum about my binging because i was so desperate for help and i kind of wanted to end it all so i thought i'd try and get help. my mum was quite nice about it but i dont think she really believed me and didnt seem to get the hint that i was asking for help so nothing happened & i never got help. but afterward and ever since i felt so embarrassed by the fact that i'd told her because i seem fine to everyone else and i act rly childish (i think it's because i dont want to grow up so i act like a kid lol) so now i feel like an idiot. i'm also rly good at masking my emotions and i can be crying in my room one minute and the next im sitting with my parents laughing over nothing and they just think i'm happy. i feel like i really struggle with food but then i see tiktoks and things talking about binging and restricting in a light hearted way as if it's normal and i just feel so stupid for making such a big thing about my own eating struggles. i also feel like my eating problems arent valid because i had a happy childhood (like nothing traumatic happened, and my parents were always kind to me), so i feel like i didnt 'earn' an eating disorder or any other mental health issues. can you have an ed and other mental illnesses even if you've experienced no trauma?

2. Childline Avatar

hello, i've struggled with the symptoms of anorexia and binge ed for about 3 years (i'm 16 now), and i've never felt 'sick enough' mainly bc of the binging and the fact i'm above a healthy weight, but last year i managed to tell my mum about my binging because i was so desperate for help and i kind of wanted to end it all so i thought i'd try and get help. my mum was quite nice about it but i dont think she really believed me and didnt seem to get the hint that i was asking for help so nothing happened & i never got help. but afterward and ever since i felt so embarrassed by the fact that i'd told her because i seem fine to everyone else and i act rly childish (i think it's because i dont want to grow up so i act like a kid lol) so now i feel like an idiot. i'm also rly good at masking my emotions and i can be crying in my room one minute and the next im sitting with my parents laughing over nothing and they just think i'm happy. i feel like i really struggle with food but then i see tiktoks and things talking about binging and restricting in a light hearted way as if it's normal and i just feel so stupid for making such a big thing about my own eating struggles. i also feel like my eating problems arent valid because i had a happy childhood (like nothing traumatic happened, and my parents were always kind to me), so i feel like i didnt 'earn' an eating disorder or any other mental health issues. can you have an ed and other mental illnesses even if you've experienced no trauma?

seultee / May 24 2021 20.36

i’ve been struggling with the same thing, dw your ed is valid and no you didn’t have to experience any traumatic things in your childhood for you to have an ed or any other mental illness

3. Butterfly

i’ve been struggling with the same thing, dw your ed is valid and no you didn’t have to experience any traumatic things in your childhood for you to have an ed or any other mental illness

daisyy2002 / May 26 2021 17.27

thank you so much<3 i hope you’re doing ok, i know how hard it is xx

4. Wallflower

VibrantTurningRhino3864 / Oct 03 2021 21.44

i honestly have never related to anything more than this. i hope thing get better for you. <3

5. Childline Avatar

KindJumpingWolf8037 / Oct 06 2021 23.13

firstly, ive never found something i relate to as much as this! im 17 and have experienced a lot of these same feelings and things as you. i just want to say how brave i think you are. i really admire the fact you told your mum and im sorry it didnt go the way you wanted it to. just remember you are valid and worthy of recieving help. i wish you all the best for the future <3

6. Fixer
    TiredButOhWell / Oct 10 2021 6.21

if it helps you with your invalid feelings google to eating disorder called ednos

7. Fixer
    xhellokitty2008x / Oct 12 2021 12.24

Same although my childhood wasn't too happy lol. Had a few traumatic experiences not over food tho.

8. Butterfly

daisyy2002 / Nov 24 2021 16.01

thank you so much lovely, im so sorry it took me so long to reply! i hope ur doing okay xx

9. Butterfly
    daisyy2002 / May 26 2021 17.27

thank you so much<3 i hope you’re doing ok, i know how hard it is xx

daisyy2002 / Nov 24 2021 16.02

ahh i just realised i already replied ages ago!! sorry haha

10. Butterfly
    VibrantTurningRhino3864 / Oct 03 2021 21.44

i honestly have never related to anything more than this. i hope thing get better for you. <3

daisyy2002 / Nov 24 2021 16.03

you are so valid i promise you, i just feel this way about myself which is so frustrating! but thank you so so much and i hope you’re doing okay - you can always chat to me if you like xxx

11. Butterfly
    KindJumpingWolf8037 / Oct 06 2021 23.13

firstly, ive never found something i relate to as much as this! im 17 and have experienced a lot of these same feelings and things as you. i just want to say how brave i think you are. i really admire the fact you told your mum and im sorry it didnt go the way you wanted it to. just remember you are valid and worthy of recieving help. i wish you all the best for the future <3

daisyy2002 / Nov 24 2021 16.04

you are so lovely thank you so much<33 im sorry you’ve experienced something similar, i hope you’re doing much better now xxx

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything