Show
  1. Flower
    GrowingPositiveThoughts / Apr 13 2021 11.42

Hi, I'm not sure if this would work but I've got an idea. I asked in an email the other day whether I could use a codeword to communicate something because it's difficult to say the actual words and they said that it's not really possible because in the notes it's easily missed or misunderstood. But what if there were universal codewords childline used for different things like 'I've self harmed' or 'I've got suicidal thoughts'? It could be put on the website somewhere and if users and counsellors knew it then could it work? I had the idea because I'm sure that I'm not the only one that struggles to say the actual words and I have a codeword at school that makes things easier to communicate. Would anyone else find this useful and would it be possible?

2. Spiralling
    TheEntitySystem / Sep 15 2021 22.11

I know this was posted a while a go but I just wanted to say that this would also help me.

3. Flower
    GrowingPositiveThoughts / Sep 16 2021 21.55

Forgot I posted this! I hope it gets taken into conaideration but I'm not sure how to make it seen by,I guess it would be one of the hosts oe the host if its just Jas.

4. Reaching out
    Jas-Host / Sep 19 2021 14.11

Hi there,

We know that code words in different situations can really help some people to communicate thoughts or feelings that they maybe just aren't able to say otherwise. And that can really help.

It can be a really difficult thing to do in Childline as a code word can be really specific to one person whereas for young people altogether, use of a certain word could mean a very different thing. And at different times too.

We also have to be really sure about what a word or phrase means and about any risk to a young person whether that's talking to the counsellors, posting on the boards, in a picture created using the Art Box, in a mood journal, a nickname or a letter to Ask Sam.

It could maybe be more about working with Childline on the things that make it difficult to say the actual words and have support with that. As well as talking to a counsellor about what a certain word means to you and what you mean by it when you're on a chat, calling or emailing.

Does anyone have any advice on how to cope with finding certain things hard to say? What can help make it easier?

Take care,

Jas-Host

5. Flower
    GrowingPositiveThoughts / Sep 19 2021 21.32

That makes total sense! I think Cubie helped a lot to say things like feeling the urge to self harm but then counsellors never really mention what you tell cubie anymore. I personally find things hard to actually say as it makes it more real written down or saying, admitting to feeling a certain way. Sometimes I say things like bad thoughts and it means the counsellors ask the right questions. Hmm….something I will have a think about for sure! Thanks for your reply Jas, it made total sense and helped a lot :)

6. Reaching out
    Jas-Host / Sep 20 2021 9.47

Hi,

I'm glad it helped! That's a really good point about Cubie - being able to pick options can help you to open up the conversation without saying the actual words. Would you like the counsellors to bring up what you said to Cubie - do you think that helped?

Saying things out loud or writing/typing them can definitely make them more real. And that can be hard to cope with on top of everything else. But that is always something you can talk to Childline about - that might be another step in your journey, at a time that feels right for you.

It could make a good thread for you to post on the boards - asking about the things that help others to say certain words or phrases, when they felt able to do this and also what happened? We're sure lots of you will be feeling the same way.

Take care,

Jas-Host

7. Flower
    GrowingPositiveThoughts / Sep 20 2021 17.26

Definitely helps if counsors bring up what you've told Cubie however sometimes I click the wrong option thinking what I am after is in a different section. Cubie doesn't seem to recognise individual words such as abuse yet. That sounds like a good idea actually! Watch out :)

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything