Show
  1. Top dog
    GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Mar 12 2021 19.48

Hello,

I'm a 13-year-old girl and I think I could have ADHD. I'm NOT trying to self-diagnose, but I'd like some advice on whether it would be good to seek a professional assessment. I'm already being assessed for autism and I know that autism and ADHD often co-occur. I think I could have ADHD and it would most likely be the inattentive type, because I struggle a lot with concentration and not much with hyperactivity.

Here are some of the signs I've noticed in myself:

• I daydream a LOT and struggle to focus on one thing. For example, I can't concentrate on maths or watching TV.

• I'm easily distracted. For example, I get up and follow the dog when I'm supposed to be doing homework.

• I make a lot of silly mistakes when I'm doing maths, because I don't concentrate.

• I have an overactive imagination and have multiple fantasy worlds.

• Despite the fact that I struggle to concentrate on many things, I concentrate very well on things that I'm passionate about. For instance, I can read very quickly. I whizz through books- I once read five books in one week. I collect facts about dogs and I talk about them all the time. It annoys other people I spend so much time thinking about my interests that I forget to do other things.

• I lose things all the time. For instance, in Art, my work has to be put on a high shelf, so that I don't lose it, and then a very tall person has to fetch it down for me.

• I am often late to lessons. I have no sense of time whatsoever. I take ages to do things.

Those are just a few of my traits. I also have sensory and social problems, for example. Does anyone who has ADHD think it would be worth getting asseszed, or am I just a bit disorganised?

2. Top dog

Hello,

I'm a 13-year-old girl and I think I could have ADHD. I'm NOT trying to self-diagnose, but I'd like some advice on whether it would be good to seek a professional assessment. I'm already being assessed for autism and I know that autism and ADHD often co-occur. I think I could have ADHD and it would most likely be the inattentive type, because I struggle a lot with concentration and not much with hyperactivity.

• I daydream a LOT and struggle to focus on one thing. For example, I can't concentrate on maths or watching TV.

• I'm easily distracted. For example, I get up and follow the dog when I'm supposed to be doing homework.

• I make a lot of silly mistakes when I'm doing maths, because I don't concentrate.

• Despite the fact that I struggle to concentrate on many things, I concentrate very well on things that I'm passionate about. For instance, I can read very quickly. I whizz through books- I once read five books in one week. I collect facts about dogs and I talk about them all the time. It annoys other people I spend so much time thinking about my interests that I forget to do other things.

• I lose things all the time. For instance, in Art, my work has to be put on a high shelf, so that I don't lose it, and then a very tall person has to fetch it down for me.

• I am often late to lessons. I have no sense of time whatsoever. I take ages to do things.

Those are just a few of my traits. I also have sensory and social problems, for example. Does anyone who has ADHD think it would be worth getting asseszed, or am I just a bit disorganised?

I-loves-dogs / Mar 12 2021 22.09

Hi. i’m also a girl and i am 14. i also think that i have adhd and i experience everything that you talked about and also a lot of fidgeting and being very impatient. I think that you should try to get a diagnosis if you can as it sounds like you have adhd. maybe mention it at the autism assesment? or talk to whoever put you through for the autism assesment to see if they can arrange an adhd appointment?

hope this helps

3. Childline Avatar

Hello,

Temporary97674380 / Mar 13 2021 7.01

Hi

My auntie has been diagnosed with ADD and I am susoected for having it to. It is sort of the same and includes all if the things you talked about but it means you are not overy hyperactive hence the losd of the H. I thjnk it would be good if you researched on it because it's likely you have it.

Isabella

4. Top dog
    GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Mar 13 2021 11.36

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I will do some research- do you have any ideas of trustworthy sources where I could find some reliable information?

I want to tell someone, but I don't know who to tell or how to go about it. My parents think that ADHD isn't real- they say it's just an excuse for children not to concentrate. That upset me. I'm not being lazy on purpose. I actually CAN'T concentrate on things.

Thanks again for replying.

GoldenRetrieverPuppy

5. Childline Avatar
    GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Mar 13 2021 11.36

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I will do some research- do you have any ideas of trustworthy sources where I could find some reliable information?

I want to tell someone, but I don't know who to tell or how to go about it. My parents think that ADHD isn't real- they say it's just an excuse for children not to concentrate. That upset me. I'm not being lazy on purpose. I actually CAN'T concentrate on things.

Thanks again for replying.

GoldenRetrieverPuppy

Temporary97674380 / Mar 13 2021 18.49

Hi again,

If you go onto the NHS website there is lots of helpful info about ADHD ADD and other learning difficulties. Hope you check it out.

I

6. Top dog
    Temporary97674380 / Mar 13 2021 18.49

Hi again,

If you go onto the NHS website there is lots of helpful info about ADHD ADD and other learning difficulties. Hope you check it out.

I

GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Mar 13 2021 20.42

Thanks. I've just read the NHS info on ADHD and I have all of the inattentive signs!

7. Top dog
    GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Mar 14 2021 11.16

I'm really worried about telling someone.

8. Childline Avatar

Hello,

freddy-here / Mar 14 2021 13.02

Try looking on the NHS website. They might have a section on adhd in teens and there might be something there about how to get diagnosed. If there isn't I;d suggest bringing it up with your parent so they could bring you to a GP. You might also be able to ask your school for help. If your parents don't believe in adhd then do some research on the evidence (DSM-5,studies, symptoms etc.) You can also look online for other coping mechanism for adhd! I hope this helped :-)

9. Top dog
    GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Mar 21 2021 12.07

Hi again,

Thank you so much to everyone who has replied. I've looked on the NHS website and I've looked online for evidence. I have also spoken to a Childline counsellor on 1-2-1 chat. They said that I should write down my symptoms and give them to the people at the autism assessment. I think this could help, but I'm really nervous about talking to them. I don't know them and I don't know what they'll be like. I'm being assessed through school. The SENCO referred me to the autism team. She wanted to talk to me about my assessment in the first week back after the lockdown, but she has been ill, so I don't know when I'll find out if it's going ahead, what will happen and when it will be. This is making me extremely anxious, to the point where I can't sleep. I'm just overwhelmed, worried and stressed about everything that is going on.

10. Top dog
    GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Mar 21 2021 12.08

(When I say I'm being assessed through school, I mean for autism.)

11. Top dog
    GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Mar 24 2021 15.50

Childline counsellors have told me to knock on the SENCO's door and ask her to tell me about the autism assessment, but I'm really nervous about this.

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything