how can i stop being racist?

Show
  1. Outcast
    tyles17 / Feb 08 2021 12.08

look, this is a really weird post i know. i just genuinely would like some insight.

i am kind of scared of people who aren't white. i hate it so much. and i don't understand why i am this way. i'm a white guy and i live in a 99% white town. i can't really think of that many people who aren't white around my town aside from my ex-boyfriend and his family. i feel terrible about how i'm scared of non-white passing people. i haven't met a lot of non-white people and i'm still trying to use the correct terms (do i use poc? do i use bipoc? do i use bame?)

i'd like to know how to stop this. i feel super guilty about it and i really wish i was living in a more diverse town. my dad grew up in birmingham and essentially had all black friends so he's never had to struggle with this. i don't think my ma has struggled with this, but rather has struggled with racism against herself (i am half brummy half gypsy - the gypsy is on my ma's side, the brummy is on my dad's side of course) and so i don't think is racist towards.. i'm gonna use bame.

i do support blm and i do try my best to not be racist towards those who are bame but i think this is something that's really been implanted in my mind. it doesn't help that all of my idols are white and so i don't have any bame icons to look up to. i feel terrible about all of this and i just wish i wasn't like this.

how do i get over my irrational fear of people who aren't white passing?

thank you so much for answering this if you do. it means a lot.

2. Artist
    Temporary76556578 / Feb 08 2021 22.46

Look at all humans as humans. no black no white no fat no ugly. See all homo sapiens for what they are, and do not judge anyone for their looks. Try to think of yourself as as much black as white, as much brummie as gypsy, if you see what i mean.

3. Outcast
    Temporary76556578 / Feb 08 2021 22.46

Look at all humans as humans. no black no white no fat no ugly. See all homo sapiens for what they are, and do not judge anyone for their looks. Try to think of yourself as as much black as white, as much brummie as gypsy, if you see what i mean.

tyles17 / Feb 09 2021 10.11

good advice :) i think i'm way too distracted by who looks like what tbh. i'll try my hardest. tysm for getting back to me so fast - it's something i've struggled with for a while now and i just couldn't admit to it because i have too much pride.

thank you again

tyler x

4. Bookworm
    I-Like-Books-And-Musicals / Feb 13 2021 22.39

Try and not think of people as a race, think of them as a person. What are they really like? Chances are, no matter what race they are, they’ll be nice! Someones personality doesn’t depend on their race, it depends on their brain and how they feel.

- Charlie :-)

5. Outcast
    tyles17 / Feb 22 2021 13.32

update: literally watched it's a sin and love, simon and it's gone.

i think the lack of bame/poc/bipoc representation in a lot of media i take in might have been a factor in this. i can't really blame that though. i feel guilty personally. still, it's gone now and i'm happy.

thank y'all so much!!

tyler x

6. Newbie
    tyles17 / Feb 08 2021 12.08

look, this is a really weird post i know. i just genuinely would like some insight.

i am kind of scared of people who aren't white. i hate it so much. and i don't understand why i am this way. i'm a white guy and i live in a 99% white town. i can't really think of that many people who aren't white around my town aside from my ex-boyfriend and his family. i feel terrible about how i'm scared of non-white passing people. i haven't met a lot of non-white people and i'm still trying to use the correct terms (do i use poc? do i use bipoc? do i use bame?)

i'd like to know how to stop this. i feel super guilty about it and i really wish i was living in a more diverse town. my dad grew up in birmingham and essentially had all black friends so he's never had to struggle with this. i don't think my ma has struggled with this, but rather has struggled with racism against herself (i am half brummy half gypsy - the gypsy is on my ma's side, the brummy is on my dad's side of course) and so i don't think is racist towards.. i'm gonna use bame.

i do support blm and i do try my best to not be racist towards those who are bame but i think this is something that's really been implanted in my mind. it doesn't help that all of my idols are white and so i don't have any bame icons to look up to. i feel terrible about all of this and i just wish i wasn't like this.

how do i get over my irrational fear of people who aren't white passing?

thank you so much for answering this if you do. it means a lot.

Reading-Sheep / Jul 22 2021 16.20

If you need support on this issue/problem, Childline can offer you support here :

https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/

If you need more help you can go here :

https://www.childline.org.uk/info-advice/

7. Childline Avatar
    ActiveRunningDuck6015 / Aug 03 2021 0.35

I support BLM and i support you. i uneertand u tgat youve only ever been around white people to be honest i would feel like that in yoyr situation. when your gonna meet bew people just inagine their gonna be black so if they r then your ok with it. i dunno if that was helpful but anyways byee

8. Heart
    tyles17 / Feb 22 2021 13.32

update: literally watched it's a sin and love, simon and it's gone.

i think the lack of bame/poc/bipoc representation in a lot of media i take in might have been a factor in this. i can't really blame that though. i feel guilty personally. still, it's gone now and i'm happy.

thank y'all so much!!

tyler x

BisexualBliss-AceAllie / Aug 03 2021 21.12

im glad that you understand it more, most of my friends are white and there is only one black girl in my year. when i see her, i admire her. shes so kind and brave. But its not just about her race, i get that its hard to not think abiut thw race but look at their clothes or their hair. dont think about some unfortunate history that people connect to them. Try to think of these questions:

What pet could they have?

What could their job be?

Why are they wearing these clothes?

If they have young children, i wonder if they have a big family?

If they are a teenager, what are they thinking about?

if they are a similiar age to you, (like a teen) they probably have similiar feelings and thoughts. dont stare but just look. Also, look online at black or bame history, icons who are black and ask your family abiut some of their old friends, not just black ones, not so obvious but ask about their different cultures and holidays.

hope you feel better soon,

E πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΏ

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything