Possible ADHD?

Show
  1. Top dog
    I-loves-dogs / Jan 18 2021 22.51

Hi I don’t know what made me think about this but the other day I was in virtual school adn I suddenly realised how much I was fidgeting around and not being able to pay attention. I had heard before that these were symptoms of ADHD so I decided to do a quick google about it and I realised that a few of the symptoms are things that I feel. these are: always fidgeting, losing focus very easily, not feeling motivated to do things.

If I do have it I think it is really mild and it doesn’t really affect my life or even school that much really but it would be nice to know what you guys think. Also does anybody have any good suggestions for things to fidget with as its something I struggle with

Sophie

2. Wallflower
    ConnerTheTransGuy / Jan 20 2021 10.54

Hi Sophie! I’m Conner and I’ being tested for ADHD and autism.

You could have ADHD, but I am not a prffesional and it’s never a good idea to self diagnose.

For fidgets, I’d recomend tangles. The only problem with them is they’re hard to play with discreetly and some people think they’re childish and stuff like that.

Another fidget thing I use is a hedgehog ring. They’e basically these rings that kinda look like a spring that you can roll up and down your finger. These are much easier to hide, although I wouldn’t recomend actually wearing them for long periods of time as they do cut off circulation a bit.

I hope this helps!

-Conner

3. Small
    SourPineapple / Jan 23 2021 16.50

Hi Sophie,

So I read your post and I often experience similar things to the ones you have described. I have a similar condition to ADHD so some of my symptoms are similar to those with ADHD, not having motivation, losing focus and fidgeting (A LOT) I would recommend not self diagnosing and going to a professional to get diagnosed if you think you have it.

However here are some ideas for cheap/homemade fidgets.

1) pipe cleaner (you can also add beads for sensory or moving up and down)

2) fabric tube with marble sewn up (basically the mesh marble fidget which you can get for like £1-2)

3) idk if this is just me but I like to use multiple (round) magnets and play with them)

4) stress balls (balloon with flour or play dough, play dough won't make a much of a mess if the balloon pops)

5) rubix cubes, you can often get them for cheap at discount stores and are good however may be annoying if you can't solve them, I personally don't concentrate on the colours and have taken the stickers of so it's fine for me personally.

6) I usually keep a rubber band or hairband on my wrist so I use that if I don't have anything else.

7) my favioute fidgets are the bike chain ones they are quite cheap about £2-4 but experiment with what helps you the most.

I hope this helps, I don't know very much about ADHD however feel free to ask any questions and let me know if you would like more fidget toy ideas (sorry for the long post)

4. Top dog

You could have ADHD, but I am not a prffesional and it’s never a good idea to self diagnose.

For fidgets, I’d recomend tangles. The only problem with them is they’re hard to play with discreetly and some people think they’re childish and stuff like that.

Another fidget thing I use is a hedgehog ring. They’e basically these rings that kinda look like a spring that you can roll up and down your finger. These are much easier to hide, although I wouldn’t recomend actually wearing them for long periods of time as they do cut off circulation a bit.

I hope this helps!

-Conner

I-loves-dogs / Jan 23 2021 23.01

Hi Connor

thank you so much for your reply i will look at the hedhog rings as they sound really good. the tabgles are also a good idea. i think i have one somewhere that i got randomly ages ago so i might have to try and find it!

5. Top dog
    SourPineapple / Jan 23 2021 16.50

Hi Sophie,

So I read your post and I often experience similar things to the ones you have described. I have a similar condition to ADHD so some of my symptoms are similar to those with ADHD, not having motivation, losing focus and fidgeting (A LOT) I would recommend not self diagnosing and going to a professional to get diagnosed if you think you have it.

However here are some ideas for cheap/homemade fidgets.

1) pipe cleaner (you can also add beads for sensory or moving up and down)

2) fabric tube with marble sewn up (basically the mesh marble fidget which you can get for like £1-2)

3) idk if this is just me but I like to use multiple (round) magnets and play with them)

4) stress balls (balloon with flour or play dough, play dough won't make a much of a mess if the balloon pops)

5) rubix cubes, you can often get them for cheap at discount stores and are good however may be annoying if you can't solve them, I personally don't concentrate on the colours and have taken the stickers of so it's fine for me personally.

6) I usually keep a rubber band or hairband on my wrist so I use that if I don't have anything else.

7) my favioute fidgets are the bike chain ones they are quite cheap about £2-4 but experiment with what helps you the most.

I hope this helps, I don't know very much about ADHD however feel free to ask any questions and let me know if you would like more fidget toy ideas (sorry for the long post)

I-loves-dogs / Jan 23 2021 23.15

thank you so much for all of the suggestions i will definitely try them out. i do the same thing about keeping something round my wrist. normally i just wear a watch as teachers can’t tell you off for wearing it

i hope you don’t mind me asking and don’t worry if you don’t want to say but what condition do you have?

6. Childline Avatar
    StarryHopeyy / Jan 25 2021 10.26

Hey,

I also think I have ADHD, I've been thinking that I have it for a long long long time. My brain like always feels full, I can never "hear" coherent thoughts, and my attention span is awful. I basically masked from age 5-14 after someone told me when I was little that I needed to "tone myself down". Loads of stuff I was told growing up forms my masking. It became exhausting and I got really depressed because I felt like no one would believe me. I do well in school, but I copy answers, I cheat on tests just so the teachers leave me alone. I've always been intelligent and I think somewhere in me still wants that praise for being intelligent, and my undiagnosed ADHD stops me from learning properly. It's really difficult, and my "good grades" mean my teachers don't realise.

I don't really know what to do anymore, it's getting worse and I'm coming up to my A Level year and I can see myself crashing.

7. Top dog
    StarryHopeyy / Jan 25 2021 10.26

Hey,

I also think I have ADHD, I've been thinking that I have it for a long long long time. My brain like always feels full, I can never "hear" coherent thoughts, and my attention span is awful. I basically masked from age 5-14 after someone told me when I was little that I needed to "tone myself down". Loads of stuff I was told growing up forms my masking. It became exhausting and I got really depressed because I felt like no one would believe me. I do well in school, but I copy answers, I cheat on tests just so the teachers leave me alone. I've always been intelligent and I think somewhere in me still wants that praise for being intelligent, and my undiagnosed ADHD stops me from learning properly. It's really difficult, and my "good grades" mean my teachers don't realise.

I don't really know what to do anymore, it's getting worse and I'm coming up to my A Level year and I can see myself crashing.

I-loves-dogs / Jan 25 2021 23.10

hi. I‘m so sorry that you have to go through that, it must be awful. I think that you should talk to somebody if it is affecting you a lot especially when you are coming up to an exam year. if you don’t want to tell your parents then you could talk to someone at school or a GP (not sure how covid affects this but i think they are doing virtual appointments) i don’t think that they will ignore you just because you are smart. if they do just remind them of all the smart people out there who had or have adhd: Albert Einstein, Will Smith and so many others

don’t let your adhd hold you back and just keep going. you sound like such a strong person so keep it up and you’ll find a way through these tough times

hope this helps

Sophie

8. Loser

I hope this helps!

-Conner

Temporary70802803 / Jan 26 2021 12.14

hi everyone! I'm Rella I'm 13 years old, I'm being tested for ADHD and Autism too. I'd reccomend fidget cubes, they are small and you can get them on amazon for like £3 and my teachers at school never realise I have one.

stay safe -

rella

9. Small
    I-loves-dogs / Jan 23 2021 23.15

thank you so much for all of the suggestions i will definitely try them out. i do the same thing about keeping something round my wrist. normally i just wear a watch as teachers can’t tell you off for wearing it

i hope you don’t mind me asking and don’t worry if you don’t want to say but what condition do you have?

SourPineapple / Jan 31 2021 23.28

hi once again im late, sorry about that im so bad at keeping up with my messages, dont worry about asking i dont mind but its not something im currently happy to openly talk about, so its really hard for me to tell you even though i dont know you in real life, if my situation changes of course i will let you know. sorry about this, but i hope you dont mind too much. oh and my condition isnt like super super similar but i experince some things (like not having motivation or losing consentration) so i get what you meant in your post

i would love it if you let me know how it goes for you or if you have any other questions. :)

10. Top dog
    SourPineapple / Jan 31 2021 23.28

hi once again im late, sorry about that im so bad at keeping up with my messages, dont worry about asking i dont mind but its not something im currently happy to openly talk about, so its really hard for me to tell you even though i dont know you in real life, if my situation changes of course i will let you know. sorry about this, but i hope you dont mind too much. oh and my condition isnt like super super similar but i experince some things (like not having motivation or losing consentration) so i get what you meant in your post

i would love it if you let me know how it goes for you or if you have any other questions. :)

I-loves-dogs / Feb 04 2021 16.00

HI. Sorry it took me so long to reply I haven't been on the message boards at all for almost a week. don't worry about it I don't mind at all. I'm finding things ok at the moment i'm just struggling with not being able to see my friends. i struggle with texting a bit i just prefer to talk in person or on the phone so lockdown has been hard. I have live lessons on microsoft teams but i struggle to focus on what the teacher is saying and I get distracted a lot but it's fine because i'm relatively smart so I can just look it up in the textbook or online and get the work done easily. recently found my old rubiks cube and that has helped loads with my fidgeting as my family don't really say anything when i just mix it up and solve it all the time. how are you finding lockdown?

11. Small
    SourPineapple / Feb 08 2021 19.14

Hi there,

I'm not doing too well with lockdown as I get soooo much work and my mind just keeps drifting whenever I try to work and i miss seeing my friends and school however as my journey to school is usually quite long I guess I get more time to myself, so that's a positive. I also like solving rubix cubes, I learned off YouTube originally, how did you learn? (not sure if this message will be allowed as its off the original topic)

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything