1-2-1 Chats info (Ask anything!!!)

Show
  1. Butterfly
    ElephantFriend / Jan 12 2021 10.37

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to explain how the online 1-2-1 Chat works because I know a lot of people get confused or are too scared to use it.

First of all don't be shy! Whatever you're going through you can talk about it! No problem is too big or small & Childline is here to address every single one of them & help you through any tough times you are having. You matter so don't think that your problem isn't worth taking up Childline's time because it is & that is what they are here for!

When you click on the 1-2-1 counsellor chat it will bring you to a page that has information about the Childline counsellors (more like fun facts) & it has some information about the Chats as well. There should be a box with fish on it coloured either red, orange or green. This will tell you how busy they are at the moment but don't chicken out because for some reason the quickest times I've been accepted onto a chat is when it is orange or red even though green should be the quickest . Anyway once you click the 'enter waiting room' button you will be asked what you are feeling at the current moment in time like when you go on the mood journal in your locker (you don't have to write anything though!!!)

After this it will take you back to a page similar to the one you just left but there isn't the box telling you to enter the waiting room and it's a bit like a calm zone with a cloud to help steady your breathing. At the top will be a long box telling you that you are in the waiting room. You can choose whether you want it to make a sound when your chat is ready or not. Stay on Childline if possible because counsellors can only wait up until 2 minutes for you to join the chat once it is ready. If it is a box will appear asking you to join the chat.

2. Heart
    Brooklyn2021 / Jan 12 2021 11.42

I know how it works but thanks anyway!!!

BrookXx

3. Butterfly
    Brooklyn2021 / Jan 12 2021 11.42

I know how it works but thanks anyway!!!

BrookXx

ElephantFriend / Jan 12 2021 13.54

Thanks Brook :)

4. Butterfly
    ElephantFriend / Jan 12 2021 14.07

Anyway I'm sorry I have to do this in 2 posts but I didn't have enough space in the first one so...

Once you are in it will tell you that you are through to a Childline counsellor and they usually ask what your name and age is (if you feel comfortable sharing - you don't have to if you don't want to share because this is your chat and your choice what to talk about). They might tell you their name as well and then ask what you want to talk about/what is on your mind. It is just like texting except the replies usually come within a few minutes or less (more if it's taking them longer to read and type etc.).

There is an art box at the side if you want to draw a picture and send it and the counsellors will often ask questions and give advice so that it's easier to talk about something. They are really kind and let you talk in your own time.

If the chat cuts off then you'll have to rejoin the queue but you can always ask the next counsellor to read notes from your last chat if you don't want to explain everything again. They'll only look at the notes if you ask them to and they understand if you need to go for whatever reason so don't feel bad about just leaving. If they think that you should have some time to think about the advice they've given you they might ask you to take some time off the chat but you can always come back later.

You can talk for as long as you want and don't be shy about opening up because they are really supportive and they never blame you for anything.

I hope this helps and if you want to know about anything else - I've probably missed something - than please feel free to ask. Even if you are looking at this a year or two from now and still have questions then you can still ask them no matter how late to reply you are.

Stay strong! :)

~ EF Xx

5. Explosion
    ElephantFriend / Jan 12 2021 10.37

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to explain how the online 1-2-1 Chat works because I know a lot of people get confused or are too scared to use it.

First of all don't be shy! Whatever you're going through you can talk about it! No problem is too big or small & Childline is here to address every single one of them & help you through any tough times you are having. You matter so don't think that your problem isn't worth taking up Childline's time because it is & that is what they are here for!

When you click on the 1-2-1 counsellor chat it will bring you to a page that has information about the Childline counsellors (more like fun facts) & it has some information about the Chats as well. There should be a box with fish on it coloured either red, orange or green. This will tell you how busy they are at the moment but don't chicken out because for some reason the quickest times I've been accepted onto a chat is when it is orange or red even though green should be the quickest . Anyway once you click the 'enter waiting room' button you will be asked what you are feeling at the current moment in time like when you go on the mood journal in your locker (you don't have to write anything though!!!)

After this it will take you back to a page similar to the one you just left but there isn't the box telling you to enter the waiting room and it's a bit like a calm zone with a cloud to help steady your breathing. At the top will be a long box telling you that you are in the waiting room. You can choose whether you want it to make a sound when your chat is ready or not. Stay on Childline if possible because counsellors can only wait up until 2 minutes for you to join the chat once it is ready. If it is a box will appear asking you to join the chat.

smallcacti / Jan 21 2021 19.55

thanks for the info. is the 1-2-1 chat like texting then? just wondering :D

~mae

6. Butterfly
    ElephantFriend / Jan 21 2021 21.05

Hi Mae,

Yes it's exactly like texting so I find it much more comfortable because you don't have to talk at all. Only thing is they might take a minute or two to reply but it's definitely worth trying it at least once because you'll usually feel so much more relieved from what you're going through afterwards.

Hope you're doing well especially at the moment and if you need any help then please ask! :)

~ ElephantFriend (EF for short) xx

7. Small
    LittleTinyMinatureToad / Jan 30 2021 19.08

I'm thinking of doing a 1-2-1 chat but I feel like it's betraying my parents? Does anyone else feel like that or is it just me?

8. Top dog

I'm thinking of doing a 1-2-1 chat but I feel like it's betraying my parents? Does anyone else feel like that or is it just me?

GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Feb 01 2021 11.01

I feel like that too.

9. Butterfly

ElephantFriend / Feb 03 2021 11.39

Don't worry about it. I feel like that a lot but if you need to talk to someone and you don't feel comfortable talking to your parents then please do use the 1-2-1 Chat. Trust me, we've all felt like that but the 1-2-1 Chat really does help so go for it! Once you've done it once you'll feel a bit better and might want to do it again so just try it out first and see what you think.

(Also, sorry I'm replying so late)

Have a great day!

~ EF :)

10. Childline Avatar
    Temporary25307267 / Feb 03 2021 15.26

I used the email on this website

11. Butterfly
    Temporary25307267 / Feb 03 2021 15.26

I used the email on this website

ElephantFriend / Feb 03 2021 16.18

Hi there,

I used to use the email quite a bit too before I found out about the 1-2-1 Chats (I still use it sometimes tbh) and it is a really good way to talk to a counsellor to get advice and support if you are too scared or unsure about using the chat or calling but I would recommend just trying the chat once if you haven't already :)

If you have tried it before and just prefer the email then that's fine as well but I find that it's easier for me to use the chat now because you get a much quicker response. I guess we all have our preferences and opinions though so you don't have to take my word for it. Do whatever suits you!

Anyway, I'm glad you have found someway to contact a counsellor here on Childline that works for you

Have an amazing day! I hope you are well.

~ EF :)

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything