Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    poppy-alx / Jan 11 2021 23.47

Hi everyone, im new here and i dont really know what else to do. Im pretty sure i have adhd as i display most of the symptoms. How to i bring this uo to my parents and ask to get tested without them blowing it off or just laughing about it. I want them to take it seriously but dont want it to het akward. Any help? :)

2. Spiralling
    K-aTJ39 / Jan 19 2021 19.37

hey i haven't got adhd but i have dyslexia, dysgraphia and dyspraxia. I have supportive parents but could you ask your teachers or send your parents links to videos about adhd and just say how similar you are to them and work up to telling them. my school has a special learning support area if your school has one could you tell them what your feeling and ask them to keep an eye on you too "see if you have adhd"[ this is n brackets because i am sure you do but it can make it less confronting to stay relatively neutral}.

I hope you are able to tell them and you get a diagnosis.

stay safe and have a great day

3. Childline Avatar
    unicornsrock12 / Jan 26 2021 10.59

hi i have ADHD i am having problems with my family at the minute I am normally on medication for it but I have not been on my medication for a year as well I am upsetting my family by behaving badly I when my mum and dad shout at me I feel like I get shouted for something I can't help as well adhd causes you to misbehave and I am fed you of all my family being upset with me . they shout at me and make me that upset I what to run away from my home

4. Spiralling
    unicornsrock12 / Jan 26 2021 10.59

hi i have ADHD i am having problems with my family at the minute I am normally on medication for it but I have not been on my medication for a year as well I am upsetting my family by behaving badly I when my mum and dad shout at me I feel like I get shouted for something I can't help as well adhd causes you to misbehave and I am fed you of all my family being upset with me . they shout at me and make me that upset I what to run away from my home

K-aTJ39 / Mar 12 2021 16.46

I hope your okay and things get better for you.

talk to someone at your school or a friend if you can

Kit

5. Top dog

Hi everyone, im new here and i dont really know what else to do. Im pretty sure i have adhd as i display most of the symptoms. How to i bring this uo to my parents and ask to get tested without them blowing it off or just laughing about it. I want them to take it seriously but dont want it to het akward. Any help? :)

GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Mar 13 2021 11.46

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as you! My parents think ADHD is just an excuse for children to behave badly and not concentrate in lessons. I'm also being assessed for autism, and thankfully my parents do believe that autism is a real condition. I wish they thought the same about ADHD. I have no idea how to tell them.

6. Spiralling
    GoldenRetrieverPuppy / Mar 13 2021 11.46

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem as you! My parents think ADHD is just an excuse for children to behave badly and not concentrate in lessons. I'm also being assessed for autism, and thankfully my parents do believe that autism is a real condition. I wish they thought the same about ADHD. I have no idea how to tell them.

K-aTJ39 / Mar 21 2021 12.17

could you talk to a teacher they may percieve or believe a teacher more( i know its upsetting)

i hope they get the message and you have a good day

7. Childline Avatar
    AwesomeCatchingLynx2075 / Jun 13 2021 15.41

for me, I'm not 100% sure i have adhd and that's why im not very confident with asking my parents as if the test came back negative they would be angry i think

And the reasons ive been thinking about me having adhd are because of things i havent told my parents (late homework, disorganised, easlily distracted) even though i am writing this i don't think i will ask ever because it is just a perculiar situation.

for reference ive been keeping this inside for about 8-12 months

8. Childline Avatar

BouncyCyclingRhino4277 / Jun 23 2021 20.07

just say im being serious i think i have adhd because i have some of the symtoms and if you want to talk to them both but you have siblings or something just ask them to leave for a minute just make sure you try and get them to take it serious

9. Childline Avatar
    AwesomeCatchingLynx2075 / Jun 13 2021 15.41

for me, I'm not 100% sure i have adhd and that's why im not very confident with asking my parents as if the test came back negative they would be angry i think

And the reasons ive been thinking about me having adhd are because of things i havent told my parents (late homework, disorganised, easlily distracted) even though i am writing this i don't think i will ask ever because it is just a perculiar situation.

for reference ive been keeping this inside for about 8-12 months

PowerfulJumpingLynx8346 / Aug 30 2021 1.56

i can relate to you, i am really sure i have adhd. i have only started to notice the signs as i am getting though my teen years. i havent been keeping it in for as long as you but it is still distressing, i might talk to the school counciller? as she diagnosed me with social anxiety, or talk to a online counciller

10. Fixer
    CatLovingGoth / Nov 22 2021 22.11

Im new to childline and this is the first group I’ve joined, so if i say/do anything wrong i do apologise 😅 I have ADHD, and I think it’s causing me to have a really hard time going to school. i dont know why, but i just worry about showing up. No specific reasons, I just can’t bring myself to go. When I looked it up it said that was normal for people with ADHD, so I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same thing (and maybe knows how to get around it)?

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything