Studying book about a young carer in english

Show
  1. Football
    MagicalSunset7001 / Jan 07 2021 22.16

Hi everyone,

Hope that you're ok x

So basically we've started studying a new book in English at school. We're only 1 chapter in at the moment but the book is based around a character who is a young carer for his mum - who has cancer. I can already tell that it's going to be a recurring theme throughout the book. I'm a young carer (though it's really not that bad for me; I just have to help out occasionally) and it brings up a lot of emotions that I try not to think about. We're doing it at home over zoom at the moment but it is still really hard to concentrate and do half decent work when I am reading a book about such a tough subject to think or talk about. Now I dread every English lesson I have. I'm not comfortable telling my teacher about it, even though she's my favourite teacher. Plus my brother hasn't actually been diagnosed yet and I also don't want my parents to worry about me because they think I'm not struggling at all and if they knew, it would make things worse.

Sorry I'm kind of ranting a bit. But does anyone have any advice?

Ella xxx

2. Heart
    RareTypeOfBee / Jan 14 2021 17.06

Your not ranting! yr very polite btw x

i would just send a priavte message to yr teacher ( email .google classroom ect.) and tell her dont be worried. she will understand x

3. Childline Avatar
    CarefulDancingJaguar3734 / Sep 21 2021 6.55

@MagicalSunset7001, I, too, am a young carer and, although I am unaware of the book you are reading, I know that if it is a sensitive topic for you, you need inform your teacher, how she reacts ro that, however, is beyond my control. Yes, I did look at the time difference in which these were posted but, you know, potential advice for the future :)

4. Bursting
    MagicalSunset7001 / Jan 07 2021 22.16

Hi everyone,

Hope that you're ok x

So basically we've started studying a new book in English at school. We're only 1 chapter in at the moment but the book is based around a character who is a young carer for his mum - who has cancer. I can already tell that it's going to be a recurring theme throughout the book. I'm a young carer (though it's really not that bad for me; I just have to help out occasionally) and it brings up a lot of emotions that I try not to think about. We're doing it at home over zoom at the moment but it is still really hard to concentrate and do half decent work when I am reading a book about such a tough subject to think or talk about. Now I dread every English lesson I have. I'm not comfortable telling my teacher about it, even though she's my favourite teacher. Plus my brother hasn't actually been diagnosed yet and I also don't want my parents to worry about me because they think I'm not struggling at all and if they knew, it would make things worse.

Sorry I'm kind of ranting a bit. But does anyone have any advice?

Ella xxx

SleepySkiingSeal5355 / Oct 01 2021 22.06

sorry this is really late but im not a young carer but i have had im having to study a book in english that is really triggering me and i just stayed behind at the end of the lesson and said this is a bit triggering sometime and she said i can either put my hand up and go out or just walk out which i have used today and she was really kind about it. hope your ok.

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything