???????????

Show
  1. Football
    MagicalSunset7001 / Jan 03 2021 17.11

Hi,

I think that I am a young carer because my brother has autism but I'm not sure because my parents are able to look after him themselves without me and I don't really have to do that much but it still affects me mentally because he can't really communicate that well because he struggles socially and he has 'breakdowns' almost every day where he will scream loads and hurt everyone who comes near him. My parents are also really bad at dealing with it when this happens. Am I a young carer?

2. Flying
    Strawberry33 / Feb 07 2021 21.09

my brother has autism as well. as he has got older, his autism has improved and i have to do less around the house than i used to. it doesn't matter how much you feel you help around the house or help him, YOU ARE A YOUNG CARER and deserve the right support. my parents also could probs manage without me but we r still a team and even if you did literally nothing, you would still be a young carer.

3. Childline Avatar
    MagicalSunset7001 / Jan 03 2021 17.11

Hi,

I think that I am a young carer because my brother has autism but I'm not sure because my parents are able to look after him themselves without me and I don't really have to do that much but it still affects me mentally because he can't really communicate that well because he struggles socially and he has 'breakdowns' almost every day where he will scream loads and hurt everyone who comes near him. My parents are also really bad at dealing with it when this happens. Am I a young carer?

CloudyWorkingJaguar6288 / Jul 13 2021 23.19

hi hun,

my sisters autism is almost exactly the same as your brothers. the violent outbursts can be a lot (and very painful) im 15 and even now she can surprise me with how strong she is. its really hard to calm an autistic breakdown as im sure you know! Although i know that my sister doesn't mean to hurt people. my mum is a single parent and she struggles to 'deal' with the breakdowns, in my personal opinion any child with an autistic parent/ sibling is a young carer, in some way shape or form. at some point every day you have to look after your sibling and that's tough!

just remember that you've got this!

love,

Allie xx

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything