Is it "normal"? Is it "right"?

Show
  1. Reaching out
    Jas-Host / Oct 01 2020 16.36

Hi everyone,

Lots of you talk to us about wanting to know if something that is happening is right or wrong,  Lots of different things can happen that you might not be sure if they are ok, if they should be happening, if it’s what other young people go through or if it is a part of “normal” life and relationships.

Things like different types of abuse, how someone like a friend, parent or partner acts and treats you or others, worries about where you live.  Or what you see happening to a friend or someone at home.

We always want to make sure that we understand as much as we can about the situations you might be in.  And about what things you look for when you want to find answers.

For example, if you were looking to find out if something was ok or not, would “is it normal” be how you asked a question or what you used to search online for more info?

Examples might be “is it normal to feel scared of your parents” or “is it normal for them to hurt me if we’re in love”?

Would “is it right” be something you’d use e.g. “is it right for best mates to pressure you”?

We’d love to know if “is it normal” and “is it right” are phrases you’d maybe use if you were searching for answers about what you or someone else is dealing with.

And you can also tell us the kinds of words and sentences you’d maybe search for or post about instead.  As well as different situations you want the answer to know if it’s something that‘s happening is “normal”.

Take care,

Jas-Host

2. Childline Avatar
    Temporary50178286 / Oct 03 2020 21.41

id say is it right or is it ok

3. Headphones
    TheAverageE / Oct 04 2020 21.53

Hi,

Yes I have used is it normal, and I’ve typed “is it normal” questions into google before.

”“Is it ok”? and “is it right”? are also phrases I may use in this situation.

I’ve also been known to google “How to” questions, “how should I” do this or “how can I” do that.

“Is it possible”, “Is it likely”, and even ‘is it common”? are also good things.

I hope this feedback is helpful.

-Elle

4. Childline Avatar
    elsie13 / Oct 05 2020 18.11

is it normal to talk to yourself?

5. Reaching out
    Temporary50178286 / Oct 03 2020 21.41

id say is it right or is it ok

Jas-Host / Oct 07 2020 17.44

Hi,

Thank you! Really helpful!

Take care,

Jas-Host

6. Reaching out
    TheAverageE / Oct 04 2020 21.53

Hi,

Yes I have used is it normal, and I’ve typed “is it normal” questions into google before.

”“Is it ok”? and “is it right”? are also phrases I may use in this situation.

I’ve also been known to google “How to” questions, “how should I” do this or “how can I” do that.

“Is it possible”, “Is it likely”, and even ‘is it common”? are also good things.

I hope this feedback is helpful.

-Elle

Jas-Host / Oct 07 2020 17.46

Hi Elle,

It's always helpful - thank you! If you were worried about something - a situation you were in or something you thought was happening to a friend - do you think you'd Google first? Like, you weren't sure if what someone told you was defined as abuse, would this be the same Google search you'd make?

Thanks!

Jas-Host

7. Reaching out
    elsie13 / Oct 05 2020 18.11

is it normal to talk to yourself?

Jas-Host / Oct 07 2020 17.47

Hi elsie13,

I think that lots of us can talk to ourselves and for different reasons. What do you think?

Are there other situations you've ever wondered about - maybe if something was happening to you or to a friend that didn't feel quite right - where you'd be looking for answers to "is it normal"?

Thanks!

Jas-Host

8. Childline Avatar
    Temporary55775348 / Oct 07 2020 21.47

Hi,

I remember 2 years ago before moving to a refuge i googled "Is it normal for my dad to hit my mum" .

I would also use "Is it ok"

I always go to google first.

9. Reaching out
    Jas-Host / Oct 08 2020 11.37

Hi,

Thank you so, so much for sharing this.

Take care,

Jas-Host

10. Headphones
    Jas-Host / Oct 07 2020 17.46

Hi Elle,

It's always helpful - thank you! If you were worried about something - a situation you were in or something you thought was happening to a friend - do you think you'd Google first? Like, you weren't sure if what someone told you was defined as abuse, would this be the same Google search you'd make?

Thanks!

Jas-Host

TheAverageE / Oct 17 2020 0.33

To be honest I think I would google first, I’m almost 18 now but I’ve been on the internet for a long time so my first port of call is often google haha.

Hope this is helpful.

-Elle

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything