is this abuse?

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    Temporary65182512 / Sep 23 2020 22.12

<div>Hello,

My name is Holly (not my real name for privacy reasons) and I would like to ask if what I am going through is physical abuse. I have an older brother (lets call him jim) and he is two years older than me (15) and has autism. Jim gets annoyed very easily due to his condition and would usually hit me in some way or throw something at me. He once made me punch myself and said "I didnt hit you this time." This made me cry. The worst injury that he has given me was when he once got annoyed at me and hit me on my leg three times in the same place with a microphone leaving a big dark bruise and it became swollen. This happened during lockdown. Him getting annoyed at me was always really a part of my life but it was the worst during lockdown since we couldnt get away from one another. I have told my parents but all they do is give him a telling of and thats the end of it. The worst experience was a few years ago now. Even though it was a few years ago i still remember it like it was yesterday. Jim got super annoyed at me and put a knife up to his own throat. It was one of the worst evenings of my life. I remember being on the floor in tears trying to tell him that it was a stupid thing to do and he put the knife away. Since it was whilst my parents were out for a bit my brother told me not to tell anyone and i only recently told my mum during lockdown. I held it in for ages. Also I would just really like to know if there is anyone else out there that has maybe gone through something similar. If so please reply to this telling me what has happened to you.

Holly

2. Heart
    RareTypeOfBee / Sep 25 2020 18.29

this hasnt happened to me but u may need to tell yr mum that its more than what she thinks, is this his choice (yr brothers) or is it cos of his autism?

3. Childline Avatar
    Temporary65182512 / Sep 23 2020 22.12

<div>Hello,

My name is Holly (not my real name for privacy reasons) and I would like to ask if what I am going through is physical abuse. I have an older brother (lets call him jim) and he is two years older than me (15) and has autism. Jim gets annoyed very easily due to his condition and would usually hit me in some way or throw something at me. He once made me punch myself and said "I didnt hit you this time." This made me cry. The worst injury that he has given me was when he once got annoyed at me and hit me on my leg three times in the same place with a microphone leaving a big dark bruise and it became swollen. This happened during lockdown. Him getting annoyed at me was always really a part of my life but it was the worst during lockdown since we couldnt get away from one another. I have told my parents but all they do is give him a telling of and thats the end of it. The worst experience was a few years ago now. Even though it was a few years ago i still remember it like it was yesterday. Jim got super annoyed at me and put a knife up to his own throat. It was one of the worst evenings of my life. I remember being on the floor in tears trying to tell him that it was a stupid thing to do and he put the knife away. Since it was whilst my parents were out for a bit my brother told me not to tell anyone and i only recently told my mum during lockdown. I held it in for ages. Also I would just really like to know if there is anyone else out there that has maybe gone through something similar. If so please reply to this telling me what has happened to you.

Holly

Temporary47144660 / Oct 28 2020 21.54

hi, im riley (not my name either hehe) i have the exact same issue except my brother is 6 years older and doesnt have autism,its very scary isnt it

4. Childline Avatar
    dumbo2 / Jan 26 2021 19.34

i know i'm slightly late but i can tell you that autism or not, the way he's treating you is wrong. in addition, autism doesn't incite violence like that. your brother clearly has another underlying issue which needs resolving. i suggest you sit down with your parents, tell them in nice terms to please stop giving your brother a free pass because he's autistic and recognise that this is a separate issue and autism doesn't make people act like that. it's clearly a different thing which needs seeing to. i hope you're staying safe and well and i have to implore that you don't hold this experience as a marker for all autistic people because that is not an autism thing-- i'm autistic and wouldn't dream of doing this to my sibling, let alone anyone else.

5. Superstar
    renegade1616 / Feb 05 2021 0.35

ok this is hard because people with autism get angry very easily talk to ur parent and try avoid him when possible ur parents should help

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything