Moving away to foster care

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    EdgeNorGreen / Sep 21 2020 8.37

My parents are being investigated by social services because I asked a friend to call them because I couldn't deal with being at home at the time and I still can't. I want to know what living in foster care is like and if the rumours about bad stuff happening is true. I live in a poor area and I'm afraid of where I'll be sent to since bad things sometimes happen around here and there are a lot of bad people around here and I don't want to end up with people like them.

2. Heart
    RareTypeOfBee / Sep 21 2020 17.45

Care isnt great, but its not like youll be tortured (although being taken away from my parents was torture) if u want to get away from yr parents then it will feel really good!

they are all pretty nice people, otherwise they wouldn't send u there xx

3. Childline Avatar
    RareTypeOfBee / Sep 21 2020 17.45

Care isnt great, but its not like youll be tortured (although being taken away from my parents was torture) if u want to get away from yr parents then it will feel really good!

they are all pretty nice people, otherwise they wouldn't send u there xx

EdgeNorGreen / Sep 21 2020 20.04

Ah, okay. Thanks so much

4. Childline Avatar
    illprobablybegone / Dec 01 2020 18.04

how long does it take to get away nd do they take ur phone away at night and can u go out xx

5. Fixer
    brokenlilsaff / Dec 01 2020 20.29

whats it like living in a foster home?

6. Childline Avatar
    Danii43210 / Dec 27 2020 2.42

Hey,

Generally being in foster care is pretty ok- if you have any concerns about it try talking to your social worker. Some of the rumors you hear might be true but remember that bad things always get more attention- you don't hear many stories of caring foster parents but that's just because the media focuses on the bad. All foster families and group homes are checked and monitored so the people you will be sent to are unlikely to be bad people. Hope everything turns out good for you.

Dani :)

7. Artist
    Danii43210 / Dec 27 2020 2.42

Hey,

Generally being in foster care is pretty ok- if you have any concerns about it try talking to your social worker. Some of the rumors you hear might be true but remember that bad things always get more attention- you don't hear many stories of caring foster parents but that's just because the media focuses on the bad. All foster families and group homes are checked and monitored so the people you will be sent to are unlikely to be bad people. Hope everything turns out good for you.

Darlingatschool / Dec 27 2020 15.33

i always get super worried about it cause my cahms worker was like “care isn’t great and when you turn 16 you basically look after yourself” cause ive suffered emotional abuse from my parents and it felt so bad and that was a reason i didnt want to live at home or maybe live in a boarding school but my christian parents would never allow it. just wondering dani what was life like before you went to foster care was it horrendous or anything. i got beat up once when i was 7-8 yrs but things are a lot better now as well as the emotinal abuse. but i don’t really feel happy at home.

8. Childline Avatar

i always get super worried about it cause my cahms worker was like “care isn’t great and when you turn 16 you basically look after yourself” cause ive suffered emotional abuse from my parents and it felt so bad and that was a reason i didnt want to live at home or maybe live in a boarding school but my christian parents would never allow it. just wondering dani what was life like before you went to foster care was it horrendous or anything. i got beat up once when i was 7-8 yrs but things are a lot better now as well as the emotinal abuse. but i don’t really feel happy at home.

Danii43210 / Dec 27 2020 20.22

Depending on your situation when you go into care, you leave at 16 (sometimes 18), I'm 17 now so am officially a care leaver however I still get support both from social services and other services. I look after myself but have support. The level of support you get varies but there will always be something and unless you are almost 16 you don't need to worry about that yet- leaving care is a long process. I think the important thing is to make sure you are certain that going into care is what you want, rather than trying to sort things out at home. I had a very different situation to you, I had no option but to go into care. I was in and out of care for years before going into the system permanently. Both my parents were addicts who were in and out of prison, eventually I was taken away because of abuse. Feeling unhappy at home is a valid reason to be thinking about going into care, but do consider your options carefully as you can't just change your mind and go home.

Hope this helps you, lmk if you want to know anything else or just need to talk. (Sorry this was so long!)

9. Childline Avatar

Danii43210 / Dec 27 2020 20.28

Hi sorry I just posted a message in reply to this, but realize that you're not the person who started the thread, so some of the information in the message might not be relevant to you- I was half replying to the first message of the thread. I hope it still answers your question tho :)

10. Childline Avatar
    shanny234 / Dec 28 2020 19.31

Care isn't very great. it isn't bad

11. Childline Avatar
    SilverThinkingShark7165 / Jul 22 2021 9.25

If you get put into foster care do you move city or school?

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything