Panic attacks

Show
  1. Mute
    littlealien / Sep 18 2020 17.26

Hi, I had my first panic attack a few weeks ago and since I've been having 1 or 2 a week. They're quite bad and I find it really scary. They always happen at school and can be triggered by things I'm worried about or for no reason whatsoever. I don't know how to deal with them and my teachers always end up calling the first aider in our school who has to come and try to calm me down. I can sometimes get out the classroom if I sit near the front but sometimes I sit at the back and I struggle to walk when I have a panic attack so I can't get out the classroom until the first aider comes and helps me which is really embarrassing. Many people suggest breathing exercises but they never help me cos I feel like I can't breathe and I start breathing really fast and I can't stop it. Going outside helps me but its not very practical cos the first aider has to help me walk and sometimes the nearest door out of the building is very far away. Does anyone have any strategies for dealing with panic attacks which doesn't involve your breathing?

Thanks

Milly

2. Bookworm
    Stories4ever / Sep 21 2020 20.01

Hi,

Yeah breathing works well, but is is actually really hard to do in a panic attack! I also struggle with panic attacks, I suggest working out your panic attack triggers, once you recognize them, you can sometimes stop the panic attack or fight the start before it gets worse. If you can - try and move, this helps me - if I move around I find it easier to breathe - not necessarily deep breathing just breathing. Moving also helps your brain focus on the movement rather than what you're panicking about. Outside of your panic attacks, I recommend meditating - listening to relaxing music/videos online or yoga or whatever helps you relax deeply, if you do this often and practice - sometimes you can remember the feeling you get when you do this during the panic attack, and once you get into the routine, you are generally more calm overall. Hope this helps you x

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything