Show
  1. Lion
    BennyWithABlackSuit / Sep 14 2020 20.08

This is kind of a random question but I've been thinking about it... why is the age limit for Childline 19? I would have thought I would have been a rounder number when it comes to age, such as 18 or 21, but it's not. Does anyone know why it's 19 and not any other number? I mean is there some logic behind it or was it just a choice of 'yeah that sound like a good age let's make it that'? Thank you for any answers,

-Benny

2. Small

This is kind of a random question but I've been thinking about it... why is the age limit for Childline 19? I would have thought I would have been a rounder number when it comes to age, such as 18 or 21, but it's not. Does anyone know why it's 19 and not any other number? I mean is there some logic behind it or was it just a choice of 'yeah that sound like a good age let's make it that'? Thank you for any answers,

-Benny

mabinogion / Oct 05 2020 17.54

obviously i cant know for certain since i dont work at childline, but im guessing its maybe because at the end of year 13 (in a normal year) the oldest you can be is 18, so if you had to redo a year you would be 19 instead so they would be able to support then the majority of those still in school x

3. Reaching out

-Benny

Jas-Host / Oct 09 2020 14.56

Hi Benny,

It's a really good question to ask! For us, some of the thinking is that a lot of changes can happen when someone turns 18. They suddenly are an adult and are expected to use and to go to different services, if needed. And it can be a lot of change for some, all at once.

So, one less change at that time is also having to find somewhere other than Childline.

At the same time though, when you get older, there are different needs, different types of situations you can be in with different rights, laws, advice and support all being in place. So that means that other places can give that help in a way that works for someone older and with what they are dealing with because they know these things better than we maybe do.

Hope that helps!

Take care,

Jas-Host

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything