Childline counselling opening times

Show
  1. Reaching out
    Jas-Host / Aug 27 2020 15.25

Hi everyone,

For a while now, because of coronavirus, the counsellors have only been able to be there from 9am until midnight. But Childline keeps looking at how to keep being there for you all when you need to talk alongside what advice the Government is giving.

We know that there are maybe less restrictions on what we can all do now but things are still difficult. And some of you are back at school already, dealing with your exam results, new classes, going back after maybe a long time off, the changes that might be in place and just coping with everything.

With more of you due to go back to school soon, the counsellors want to be able to be there for you earlier in the morning. And from 1st September, the new hours will be:

* Monday-Friday: 7:30am - midnight

* Weekends: 9am - midnight

To make sure they can answer everyone who’s waiting, you still won’t be able to join the 1-2-1 chat queue after 10:30pm. But you will still be able to send emails from your locker at any time and get a reply within 24 hours.

Chat still isn't available on the Childline app but it works the same way from the website.

And our moderation hours are still until 11:30pm, so you can all keep posting on the boards for a longer time too.

Any questions, just ask!

Take care,

Jas-Host

2. Childline Avatar
    Temporary50244960 / Aug 30 2020 10.20

im just curious as to why Childline isnt working the same as other businesses? The way things are going it seems like Childline are going to try and make this a permanent thing which means we wont be able to contact anytime like your motto states.

We need you more than ever. Support for children and young people are limited with waiting times for CAMHS being months and possibly even longer than before now with the hold up due to covid.

So why are the hours being cut? what if we need you at 11pm when we are alone? is this going to be permanent because almost all businesses and charities are back to work but CL is still putting it off.

Why can you safely talk to us at 11 in the morning but 11 at night is unsafe to talk to us?

it feels like youre testing a new way of running childline which means we dont have access to support 24/7 .

3. Scientist
    Temporary50244960 / Aug 30 2020 10.20

im just curious as to why Childline isnt working the same as other businesses? The way things are going it seems like Childline are going to try and make this a permanent thing which means we wont be able to contact anytime like your motto states.

We need you more than ever. Support for children and young people are limited with waiting times for CAMHS being months and possibly even longer than before now with the hold up due to covid.

So why are the hours being cut? what if we need you at 11pm when we are alone? is this going to be permanent because almost all businesses and charities are back to work but CL is still putting it off.

Why can you safely talk to us at 11 in the morning but 11 at night is unsafe to talk to us?

it feels like youre testing a new way of running childline which means we dont have access to support 24/7 .

Matt-on-a-mat / Aug 30 2020 14.55

Hello there!

Now obviously I'm not a moderator at childline so I don't know the ins and outs but I do think I know some things! So, in your post you mention that why isn't it safe to message in the evenings but is in the day? I think this is because they need to clean everything down if everyones in a big call centre and that'll of course take some time. If people are working at home, I'd think it's because people obviously need to go shopping and if they're taking calls all day then they'd of course miss out on shopping as some stores aren't twenty four seven. If those ideas are both wrong then it could be because they're on reduced staff so can't realistically keep people on all night aswell as all day because they have no people to change with after thier shift is done.

You also mention that you feel the services may stay like this and I just want to say that I doubt that, the only reason that would happen is if they had funding pulled which I doubt would happen too.

Hope this helps friend! 😊

4. Burying
    RainbowOstrichBrownie / Sep 11 2020 21.59

Hey Jas,

I'm dying to know when Childline will be back to normal and properly running again. I joined Childline in July, I think, but I had an old account in about September or something last year that I deleted for feeling guilty about using Childline in secret, and from what I've heard, I think Childline changed in March or April.

Please give me a clear answer.

When will Childline be how it used to be or will it be like this FOREVER????

Holly

PS Sorry if this sounded rude or impatient or anything.

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything