Sleeping well in general?

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    emdogg08 / Aug 21 2020 20.39

heyhey! so basically i struggle sleeping, a lot. sometimes i'll stay up until 5am, and wake up at 2pm, because im so distracted. every night before i sleep i always watch tiktoks and text my friends.

as well as this i have really bad anxiety, and one of my worst fears is darkness. i know its stupid because im growing up, and darkness shouldnt scare me, but it does. i also have very graphic (i think thats the word) dreams. they sometimes make me jolt awake and then i struggle to catch my breath, like in movies lol. once i wake up, i can never go back to sleep.

the last reason is that i feel sick very often, and the nausea stops me from being able to sleep well. if anybody has any tips please share them, im literally so sleep deprived its unreal

-emily

2. Contemplator

heyhey! so basically i struggle sleeping, a lot. sometimes i'll stay up until 5am, and wake up at 2pm, because im so distracted. every night before i sleep i always watch tiktoks and text my friends.

as well as this i have really bad anxiety, and one of my worst fears is darkness. i know its stupid because im growing up, and darkness shouldnt scare me, but it does. i also have very graphic (i think thats the word) dreams. they sometimes make me jolt awake and then i struggle to catch my breath, like in movies lol. once i wake up, i can never go back to sleep.

the last reason is that i feel sick very often, and the nausea stops me from being able to sleep well. if anybody has any tips please share them, im literally so sleep deprived its unreal

-emily

PalominoD4ncer / Aug 21 2020 22.22

Hey Emily,

What you're going through sounds really tough so I'll try to give you some tips that will hopefully help you to sleep better!

1) I would say that distractions from your phone is probably the easiest one to solve! If your phone has this feature in settings, maybe set a 'downtime' that restricts you from going on your phone/certain between the hours that you want to sleep. If that's not an option or you don't want to do this, just keep your phone outside your room overnight. All the tiktoks will still be there in the morning and you could let your friends know that you're going to go to bed and I'm sure they won't mind, especially if you're sleep-deprived!

2) Having a fear of the dark is not stupid. In fact, I bet it's a very common fear but not many people like to admit it! Maybe get some kind of lamp/nightlight - there's nothing to be embarrassed about - besides, you can always hide it somewhere if friends come over and you don't want them to see it!

3) I'm not too sure about the dreams as I don't really get any like you've described. I would maybe try talking to someone about it? Or keep a notebook by your bed so you can jot down any worries or bad dreams that you've had and put them away - 'out of sight, out of mind!' - you could even get a notebook that uses a lock and key to keep them more private and it might also help you to 'lock' the negative thoughts into a metaphorical box in your mind. Then you also have a reference to the anxieties you've experienced so that you can give them to someone to read if necessary!

The nausea is most likely down to your anxiety and tiredness, I am the same when I'm tired! But again talk to someone about it if you're worried.

I would also recommend bedtime yoga (I like yoga with Adrienne!).

Hope this helped and good luck!

3. Artist

-emily

Yeesha-the-bi-cow / Aug 21 2020 22.42

Hey,

i am the same except im not allowed to sleep in that late :( i have to be up by 11 latest. im also acared of the dark so have my lamp on at all times. im scared of the dark and sleeping cos i get flashback scenes from horror movies or kidnappers and spiders and getvscared even tho it wont haopen lol ik its pathetic. im notmally too worried or stressed to sleep so i wait for sleep to come to me which is notmally at 3am or something i try read, write my worries in my diary and do some meditation befire sleeping, it didnt help me but it may help you!!

im sorry i cant really help much but i hope i did xx

4. Childline Avatar
    PalominoD4ncer / Aug 21 2020 22.22

Hey Emily,

What you're going through sounds really tough so I'll try to give you some tips that will hopefully help you to sleep better!

1) I would say that distractions from your phone is probably the easiest one to solve! If your phone has this feature in settings, maybe set a 'downtime' that restricts you from going on your phone/certain between the hours that you want to sleep. If that's not an option or you don't want to do this, just keep your phone outside your room overnight. All the tiktoks will still be there in the morning and you could let your friends know that you're going to go to bed and I'm sure they won't mind, especially if you're sleep-deprived!

2) Having a fear of the dark is not stupid. In fact, I bet it's a very common fear but not many people like to admit it! Maybe get some kind of lamp/nightlight - there's nothing to be embarrassed about - besides, you can always hide it somewhere if friends come over and you don't want them to see it!

3) I'm not too sure about the dreams as I don't really get any like you've described. I would maybe try talking to someone about it? Or keep a notebook by your bed so you can jot down any worries or bad dreams that you've had and put them away - 'out of sight, out of mind!' - you could even get a notebook that uses a lock and key to keep them more private and it might also help you to 'lock' the negative thoughts into a metaphorical box in your mind. Then you also have a reference to the anxieties you've experienced so that you can give them to someone to read if necessary!

The nausea is most likely down to your anxiety and tiredness, I am the same when I'm tired! But again talk to someone about it if you're worried.

I would also recommend bedtime yoga (I like yoga with Adrienne!).

Hope this helped and good luck!

emdogg08 / Aug 22 2020 15.12

thank you so much :D i will try all of these things tonight !

5. Childline Avatar
    Yeesha-the-bi-cow / Aug 21 2020 22.42

Hey,

i am the same except im not allowed to sleep in that late :( i have to be up by 11 latest. im also acared of the dark so have my lamp on at all times. im scared of the dark and sleeping cos i get flashback scenes from horror movies or kidnappers and spiders and getvscared even tho it wont haopen lol ik its pathetic. im notmally too worried or stressed to sleep so i wait for sleep to come to me which is notmally at 3am or something i try read, write my worries in my diary and do some meditation befire sleeping, it didnt help me but it may help you!!

im sorry i cant really help much but i hope i did xx

emdogg08 / Aug 22 2020 15.14

dont worry you helped me a lot as well :D I personally dont have a set time i have to be up for unless im going to school, but yeah, i also hope your fear of the darkness eases down soon xx

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything