Childline's confidentiality info page

Show
  1. Reaching out
    Jas-Host / Aug 20 2020 14.50

Hi everyone,

We know that the confidentiality offered is a big part of the reason lots of you use Childline and all its different parts.  And that confidentiality works differently to most other places.  But we also know that lots of you post on the boards to ask more about it and we want to update our site information to give you the clearest answers and examples possible.  Childline’s confidentiality isn’t changing in any way but we want to be able to answer the things you’d like to know more about.

This page has more information on Childline’s confidentiality along with some examples of the times where we might need to tell someone.  We’d love you to tell us:

Is there anything you don’t understand on this page or examples you’d like talked more about?

What other questions do have about what this confidentiality page says?

We’d love as many of you as possible to have a look at the page and come back here to let us know what you think, so that we can update our info!

Take care,

Jas-Host

2. Lion
    BennyWithABlackSuit / Aug 27 2020 16.19

I've been cut off from 121 chats a few times now because of my brother and when it said that they'll break confidentiality if you get cut off it made me really nervous because I don't want anyone to find out I'm using Childline. What do you have to be talking about for the counsellor to break confidentiality? Is it what is stated on the confidentiality page or other things? I'm just really nervous and confused at this point. Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've been worrying about it for a while.

-Benny

3. Small
    Roxanna109 / Aug 27 2020 19.42

Hello Benny! If your situation wasn't that worrying they would probably keep it. To be on the safe side and this is what Childline has said somewhere and that is if you cut off of the 1-2-1 chat your councillor won't be angry but to make sure your safe ring the helpline number. I would personally use the 1-2-1 chat as I would use the helpline only for emergencies. I have cut off of the 1-2-1 chat and never told them as I never knew and I was completely fine. To know when they will break their confidentiality promise is

Mobile:

menu (on the top right on the website) > confidentiality promise or you can scroll all the way down to confidentiality

Computer:

scroll all the way down to confidentiality

From there, it will walk you through their promise. I hope this helps you and if you need any more help or support and you don't want to talk to Childline just yet, I am here and can answer what you need on here. I will not judge just as if you were talking to a councillor. Any more questions or something do not hesitate to come to me for help :>

~Roxanne

4. Burying
    RainbowOstrichBrownie / Aug 28 2020 17.08

If you're feeling really sad about life and you ask them what is the purpose, for example, and what is worth keeping going, but you don't self harm and you don't actually want to kill yourself, will they break confidentiality?

5. Childline Avatar

If you're feeling really sad about life and you ask them what is the purpose, for example, and what is worth keeping going, but you don't self harm and you don't actually want to kill yourself, will they break confidentiality?

Rosy127 / Aug 28 2020 17.16

I would also Actually like to know about this.

6. Small

Roxanna109 / Aug 30 2020 9.42

Hello! I'm not exactly sure. If you're not going to self harm then there is no point saying that you won't do self harm. If you did say you won't do self harm and the thing that keeps you going then they might ask "What happens if _____goes? Will you do self harm then?" It's best to not bring it up, if you feel like self harm then you should talk to an adult at home. I hope this helps you and for more support contact the childline helpline number for emergencies or the 1-2-1 chat when it's not an emergency, if you believe your life is in danger or someone else's life is in danger call 999 for help asap. I hope this helps and anything to say/ask do not hesitate to ask and can even ask me but do remember that it won't be private as it will be public sadly.

~Roxanne

7. Reaching out

Jas-Host / Sep 18 2020 14.45

Hi RainbowOstrichBrownie,

This doesn't sound like a time confidentiality would need to be broken. It's ok to ask questions around keeping going or for someone to talk about not wanting to be here, for example. And we always want you to be able to be really honest about how you are feeling. Or even things that can just pop into your head. It can be something you've been thinking and feeling for a while. Or in response to something like another really hard thing to deal with when things can just all feel overwhelming.

Sometimes, it can maybe feel like there are few places you can say things like this without wondering if they might have to tell someone else and that can stop so many from speaking out.

So, it's ok to say things like this and to talk about what you sometimes wonder about - the counsellors, and us on the boards, know that a thought and even a feeling can be very, very different to someone even thinking about killing themselves. But it's also ok to talk about that too - to be honest if someone has thought about that as well. The difference can be when someone isn't able to keep themselves safe and the right thing is for them to have help as soon as possible.

We hope that helps but please ask away if we can help more.

And thank you for posting too - it's really helpful to know the things you all want to know more about around confidentiality.

Take care,

Jas-Host

8. Reaching out
    BennyWithABlackSuit / Aug 27 2020 16.19

I've been cut off from 121 chats a few times now because of my brother and when it said that they'll break confidentiality if you get cut off it made me really nervous because I don't want anyone to find out I'm using Childline. What do you have to be talking about for the counsellor to break confidentiality? Is it what is stated on the confidentiality page or other things? I'm just really nervous and confused at this point. Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've been worrying about it for a while.

-Benny

Jas-Host / Sep 18 2020 14.59

Hi Benny,

It's never a stupid question to ask. The counsellors know that different things can cause a chat to cut off. If you've been talking about something that might involve having to think about telling someone else, it would usually come up in the chat and the counsellors would try to talk a bit about this to you. That can be when someone is talking about things that might mean they, or someone else, really needs help as soon as possible to be safe.

The examples given on the confidentiality page are really good example of the types of things that would be being talked about for this to even come up. It can depend on each situation but if a chat is cut off, the counsellors can also send a follow-up email encouraging someone to get back in touch to keep talking and for them to find out more about what had already been talked about.

And, if you think you've been talking about something that might be in the examples used on the confidentiality page, you can also come back on, if you're able. Or call the counsellors to say what has happened.. That's about letting them know you're safe. But if you've not been talking about anything like that, the counsellors really understand that chats can end and that's always ok.

Are there some examples on the confidentiality page that you'd like explained more? Or something else added to the page to help with this that you think would work well? We'd love to know!

Take care,

Jas-Host

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything