Hearing things

Show
  1. Flower
    SunsetHeights / Jul 23 2020 21.51

Hey, I'm Amy (not my real name), I'm 15 years old. :)

This has been happening for years; it doesn't happen every night, but I'd say it happens at least once a week.

While I'm trying to sleep, I'll suddenly hear a voice. Sometimes it can be my mum calling my name, other times it can be my brother rambling something indecipherable, other times it can be my sister laughing... Just a voice, usually someone in my family, though there are times where it's a voice I don't recognise.

I've noticed it always seems to happen just as I begin drifting off to sleep, then I'll hear the voice and I jolt back awake.

Also, I don't know if this is important, but it always seems to be coming from the same place in my house. It sounds like it's coming from the hallway, just above the stairs, right outside my bedroom door.

It's not the kind of sound where I'm confused whether I heard it or not - it sounds 100% real, like it's actually happening, I can genuinely hear it. I cannot stress this enough.

Does anyone know what this is and/or how to stop it? I've never heard of anyone else experiencing this so I'm really confused. Thanks in advance. :)

- Amy 🌸

2. Loser
    why-why-why / Jul 23 2020 22.04

Hi!

I experience the same thing. But for me I hear my girlfriend shouting my name or shouting for help, or my mum shouting my name. It makes me jump out of my skin sometimes. It kind of feels like when you ‘trip over the pavement’ whilst drifting to sleep and it just scares me and wakes me up.

I have absolutely no idea on what it is/could be. Sometimes I shout ‘yes?’ back to them because it seems so real.

Other times though, it just sounds like a random woman or man saying my name or shouting ‘help’. I could try and do some research maybe if you think it could help?

❤️

3. Flower
    why-why-why / Jul 23 2020 22.04

Hi!

I experience the same thing. But for me I hear my girlfriend shouting my name or shouting for help, or my mum shouting my name. It makes me jump out of my skin sometimes. It kind of feels like when you ‘trip over the pavement’ whilst drifting to sleep and it just scares me and wakes me up.

I have absolutely no idea on what it is/could be. Sometimes I shout ‘yes?’ back to them because it seems so real.

Other times though, it just sounds like a random woman or man saying my name or shouting ‘help’. I could try and do some research maybe if you think it could help?

❤️

SunsetHeights / Jul 23 2020 22.23

Hello!

Yes! That's exactly it! You described the feeling so perfectly. Back when it first started, I used to call back too, and that only resulted in me waking up my family and my mum asking who I was talking to haha.

It's entirely your choice! I don't want to tire you out. Thank you so much for replying, it's such a huge relief to know I'm not the only one with this. I hope you're okay. ♥

- Amy 🌸

4. Loser
    SunsetHeights / Jul 23 2020 22.23

Hello!

Yes! That's exactly it! You described the feeling so perfectly. Back when it first started, I used to call back too, and that only resulted in me waking up my family and my mum asking who I was talking to haha.

It's entirely your choice! I don't want to tire you out. Thank you so much for replying, it's such a huge relief to know I'm not the only one with this. I hope you're okay. ♥

- Amy 🌸

why-why-why / Jul 24 2020 16.31

I’m so sorry I didn’t reply sooner I haven’t seen your reply until now!

I’ll do some research on it soon and let you know later on tonight? Don’t thank me, honestly I’m just trying to give a girl some answers, because we all deserve answers. It’s a huge relief to know I’m not the only one too! I’ve never really spoken about it to anyone because I thought everyone would think I was crazy but I’m happy I’m not the only one!❤️

5. Flower
    why-why-why / Jul 24 2020 16.31

I’m so sorry I didn’t reply sooner I haven’t seen your reply until now!

I’ll do some research on it soon and let you know later on tonight? Don’t thank me, honestly I’m just trying to give a girl some answers, because we all deserve answers. It’s a huge relief to know I’m not the only one too! I’ve never really spoken about it to anyone because I thought everyone would think I was crazy but I’m happy I’m not the only one!❤️

SunsetHeights / Jul 24 2020 20.01

That's okay, no worries!

It would be amazing to finally have answers. I know you said not to thank you, but I never expected anyone to care enough to actually do some research on it for me, so really, thank you so much aha ^^

Don't feel pressured though! If you can't find anything, that's completely fine!

Your support is hugely appreciated, we're in this together♥

- Amy 🌸

6. Loser
    SunsetHeights / Jul 24 2020 20.01

That's okay, no worries!

It would be amazing to finally have answers. I know you said not to thank you, but I never expected anyone to care enough to actually do some research on it for me, so really, thank you so much aha ^^

Don't feel pressured though! If you can't find anything, that's completely fine!

Your support is hugely appreciated, we're in this together♥

- Amy 🌸

why-why-why / Jul 24 2020 21.41

I did some research, at least 95% of the things I have read say that it is Hypnagogic / Auditory hallucinations. This is basically just the state between asleep and awake where everything feels real. You can experience visions as well as the voices too!

The other 5% of the reason was to do with spiritual things and God and the Bible, but I’m not sure whether you are religious or not that’s the only reason I haven’t explained that part. But I can if you want to know about that too!

On other websites it talks about hearing voices in the daytime when you’re not in the hallucination stage of sleep, I can talk about that aswell if it’s something that might help you!

We ARE in this together, you’re not alone I promise, I’m so so so happy that I’m able to help!❤️❤

7. Flower
    why-why-why / Jul 24 2020 21.41

I did some research, at least 95% of the things I have read say that it is Hypnagogic / Auditory hallucinations. This is basically just the state between asleep and awake where everything feels real. You can experience visions as well as the voices too!

The other 5% of the reason was to do with spiritual things and God and the Bible, but I’m not sure whether you are religious or not that’s the only reason I haven’t explained that part. But I can if you want to know about that too!

On other websites it talks about hearing voices in the daytime when you’re not in the hallucination stage of sleep, I can talk about that aswell if it’s something that might help you!

We ARE in this together, you’re not alone I promise, I’m so so so happy that I’m able to help!❤️❤

SunsetHeights / Jul 25 2020 12.46

I'm so sorry for not replying! I completely missed the notification whoops ^^"

Auditory hallucinations actually sounds very likely, I didn't know anything like that existed! I do experience visions too but nowhere near as often as the noises.

If it's no bother, could you explain the thing about God and the Bible? I do have my own different beliefs, but I was raised in a Christian family so I'm a little intrigued. No problem if not though!

Like the visions, I do hear voices during the daytime occasionally, but nothing compared to as much as I do at night. Still, is it okay with you if you also talk about that? I'm so sorry for asking for so much. ^^"

Thank you so, so much!!♥

8. Loser
    SunsetHeights / Jul 25 2020 12.46

I'm so sorry for not replying! I completely missed the notification whoops ^^"

Auditory hallucinations actually sounds very likely, I didn't know anything like that existed! I do experience visions too but nowhere near as often as the noises.

If it's no bother, could you explain the thing about God and the Bible? I do have my own different beliefs, but I was raised in a Christian family so I'm a little intrigued. No problem if not though!

Like the visions, I do hear voices during the daytime occasionally, but nothing compared to as much as I do at night. Still, is it okay with you if you also talk about that? I'm so sorry for asking for so much. ^^"

Thank you so, so much!!♥

why-why-why / Jul 25 2020 16.11

No worries! I‘ve only experienced visions once or twice and they were horrible - it was of my mum c*tting her wrists and she shouted ‘help me’ and it was the worst thing ever.

Some people believe it is due to past life experiences. Others believe it is a ‘spiritual awakening’ which is your spiritual gifts ‘kicking in’. It may mean that you have a gift that you haven’t yet discovered but will come to you soon.

With the other religious beliefs, a lot of people think that God is teaching you a lesson for sinning or confessing to a sin. Other reasons are that you might be ready to see your ‘spiritual vision’, and to know for sure if this is true they reccommend that you check your Holy Book for instructions. It can also be a sign of some sort of ‘spiritual attack’

To help try and prevent a spiritual attack, people have said that taking the Holy Bible to bed with them has helped stop the voices.

I too hear voices during the day. It’s usually someone asking me for something or asking me to do something. I reply and then my mum will ask what I’m saying and I’ll say ‘you just asked me to do something’ and she will say no.

The first thing that pops into my head is Schitzophrenia, but I don’t think it will be severe enough for that at this point so lets look at other possibilities.

Some reasons could be:

-You have experienced some mild trauma in your life

-You are very stressed or worried/anxious

-Medication you are on have these side effects

-Lack of sleep

-Extreme hunger

These cause stress on the brain making it think it’s hearing things when it’s really not.

You are not asking for too much! I’m ALWAYS happy to help! I hope you are having a good day lovely❤️❤️❤️

9. Flower
    why-why-why / Jul 25 2020 16.11

No worries! I‘ve only experienced visions once or twice and they were horrible - it was of my mum c*tting her wrists and she shouted ‘help me’ and it was the worst thing ever.

Some people believe it is due to past life experiences. Others believe it is a ‘spiritual awakening’ which is your spiritual gifts ‘kicking in’. It may mean that you have a gift that you haven’t yet discovered but will come to you soon.

With the other religious beliefs, a lot of people think that God is teaching you a lesson for sinning or confessing to a sin. Other reasons are that you might be ready to see your ‘spiritual vision’, and to know for sure if this is true they reccommend that you check your Holy Book for instructions. It can also be a sign of some sort of ‘spiritual attack’

To help try and prevent a spiritual attack, people have said that taking the Holy Bible to bed with them has helped stop the voices.

I too hear voices during the day. It’s usually someone asking me for something or asking me to do something. I reply and then my mum will ask what I’m saying and I’ll say ‘you just asked me to do something’ and she will say no.

The first thing that pops into my head is Schitzophrenia, but I don’t think it will be severe enough for that at this point so lets look at other possibilities.

Some reasons could be:

-You have experienced some mild trauma in your life

-You are very stressed or worried/anxious

-Medication you are on have these side effects

-Lack of sleep

-Extreme hunger

These cause stress on the brain making it think it’s hearing things when it’s really not.

You are not asking for too much! I’m ALWAYS happy to help! I hope you are having a good day lovely❤️❤️❤️

SunsetHeights / Jul 26 2020 11.16

Oh my gosh, that sounds really awful... I'm so so sorry you had to go through that, I hope you're okay now❤️

I do believe in past lives, so that does make sense to me. Although I'm not 100% sure that's what the voices are (you never know 👀).

I get those same kind of voices in the day! Also, this might sound weird, but during the day I can sometimes even hear music that isn't playing anywhere in the house. Other than that it's pretty much just the same as night, I usually hear someone in my family laughing, crying, talking, or calling me. Whenever I answer they say they didn't do anything. And again, sometimes it's a voice I don't recognise. It's scary when I'm home alone and I suddenly hear someone laughing haha :')

I'm preeetty sure I don't have Schizophrenia. Out of those reasons, I have experienced mild traumas, and I am very often stressed or anxious which also causes for a lack of sleep, so those could very possibly be playing a part.

I've come to the conclusion that it could possibly be auditory hallucinations, maybe coupled with what I said above - it's such a relief to finally have an idea on what it is! I cannot thank you enough, you've helped me so much, I didn't expect anyone to do research aha so truly thank you so much!! I hope you are having a good day too❤️❤️

- Amy 🌸 :)

10. Loser
    SunsetHeights / Jul 26 2020 11.16

Oh my gosh, that sounds really awful... I'm so so sorry you had to go through that, I hope you're okay now❤️

I do believe in past lives, so that does make sense to me. Although I'm not 100% sure that's what the voices are (you never know 👀).

I get those same kind of voices in the day! Also, this might sound weird, but during the day I can sometimes even hear music that isn't playing anywhere in the house. Other than that it's pretty much just the same as night, I usually hear someone in my family laughing, crying, talking, or calling me. Whenever I answer they say they didn't do anything. And again, sometimes it's a voice I don't recognise. It's scary when I'm home alone and I suddenly hear someone laughing haha :')

I'm preeetty sure I don't have Schizophrenia. Out of those reasons, I have experienced mild traumas, and I am very often stressed or anxious which also causes for a lack of sleep, so those could very possibly be playing a part.

I've come to the conclusion that it could possibly be auditory hallucinations, maybe coupled with what I said above - it's such a relief to finally have an idea on what it is! I cannot thank you enough, you've helped me so much, I didn't expect anyone to do research aha so truly thank you so much!! I hope you are having a good day too❤️❤️

- Amy 🌸 :)

why-why-why / Jul 26 2020 13.01

I am okay now thank you! I hesr music coming from other rooms and start singing or nodding my head to it and I just look silly.

I conpletely understand the thing about being home alone, I get scared because I dometimes hear the door knocking (even though it hasn’t) and the doorbell ringing (again, even though it hasnt). I believe in some spiritual stuff and past life and so does my Mum.

I too think that these are playing a big part of it for you. Perhaps try having a day to yourself to relax as much as you can?

Auditory hallucinations could be the answer, and probably the most likely! I know that it will be a relief for you and it has been for me too! Thank you for questioning it and replying to my messages as it has helped me!

I am always on the message boards looking for something I can relate to and I can help people with so I may stumble across you again soon!

You are more than welcome my lovely, have a great day❤️❤️❤️

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything