Am I overthinking or being too emotional?

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    annelouise / Jun 22 2020 18.23

I am currently in Year 12 studying A Level Maths, History and Psychology. It's a lot. Especially now that during lockdown we have to basically teach ourselves the courses.

But I'm writing on this thread about the relationship between me and my mum. My dad suddenly passed away two years ago and my stepdad is not part of our lives anymore. My mum also had a stroke last year so I have been her primary carer whilst trying to keep my emotions and education balanced. It's already tough during lockdown but me and my mum both have such strong personalities so it is difficult living with her sometimes as she is serious all the time and I feel like I don't have much freedom, even when I say this to her she always replies as if she is trying to cause an argument with her. She blames it on work stress but I can't go and live with someone else either. She puts so much pressure on me ALL THE TIME I hate it I can't breathe most days. I'm an only child so I have to live up to my mum's great expectations. I don't know how to tell her I am depressed. I don't know how to explain that I still need a father figure or just someone else to talk to. I have lost so much weight during lockdown, I'm so unhealthy. She shouts all the time and I can't help but feel like a failure. I want to repeat Year 12 because of the lack of motivation I'm really far behind. Am I overreacting? Is anyone else finding home life and college difficult to balance?

Thank you, Anne

2. Football
    annelouise / Jun 22 2020 18.23

I am currently in Year 12 studying A Level Maths, History and Psychology. It's a lot. Especially now that during lockdown we have to basically teach ourselves the courses.

But I'm writing on this thread about the relationship between me and my mum. My dad suddenly passed away two years ago and my stepdad is not part of our lives anymore. My mum also had a stroke last year so I have been her primary carer whilst trying to keep my emotions and education balanced. It's already tough during lockdown but me and my mum both have such strong personalities so it is difficult living with her sometimes as she is serious all the time and I feel like I don't have much freedom, even when I say this to her she always replies as if she is trying to cause an argument with her. She blames it on work stress but I can't go and live with someone else either. She puts so much pressure on me ALL THE TIME I hate it I can't breathe most days. I'm an only child so I have to live up to my mum's great expectations. I don't know how to tell her I am depressed. I don't know how to explain that I still need a father figure or just someone else to talk to. I have lost so much weight during lockdown, I'm so unhealthy. She shouts all the time and I can't help but feel like a failure. I want to repeat Year 12 because of the lack of motivation I'm really far behind. Am I overreacting? Is anyone else finding home life and college difficult to balance?

Thank you, Anne

Jakub- / Jun 23 2020 20.40

This might not help but at least you can afford college, I probably won't be able to

3. Outcast
    Jakub- / Jun 23 2020 20.40

This might not help but at least you can afford college, I probably won't be able to

Akira-Quakenpath16 / Jun 24 2020 22.47

To Jakub-Collage is free in the uk so being able to afford it isn't really much of a problem here unless you want to go to a private collage. We do have to pay for university though.

To Annelouise- I am not quite the same but I do feel like I can relate to you. I am also an only child do i completely get what you mean about all of the pressure and expectations to the point where you feel like a failure. I am in year 10so not quite collage yet but it is really stressful with lockdown and with keeping up motivation while also dealing with mental health problems is so difficult. Anyway I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone and that you can do this. It is really hard but i know that you can 😊

-Akira

4. Headphones
    Koalacutie109 / Jun 24 2020 23.29

thats so sad thats hard maybe talk to your friends or to a childline counsellor to help

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything