Show
  1. Comic
    TheoneandonlyAchlys / Jun 20 2020 15.01

i have literally not seen anything about the black lives matter movement so i started a thread.

So share your opinon even if you agree or disagree with the movement tell me what you think of it,all questions and answers are valid here.

sincerely Kaveli.xxx

2. Childline Avatar

i have literally not seen anything about the black lives matter movement so i started a thread.

So share your opinon even if you agree or disagree with the movement tell me what you think of it,all questions and answers are valid here.

sincerely Kaveli.xxx

Kiiyah / Jun 22 2020 15.56

I wholeheartedly agree with the movement and I can think of lots of ways people have argued against it but I think that the fact it's much more complex than commonly understood means it can be twisted and taken out of context? not sure if that makes sense but resources like "why I'm no longer talking to white people about race" and "when they see us" are really important to elevate the voices of black people. i'm Chinese myself which definitely influences my perspective since I see notions like white supremacy and white privilege similarly to other people of colour (ethnic minorities? I still dont know which term is more politically correct)

anyway I thought I'd contribute to this thread it's a good idea <3

3. Contemplator

sincerely Kaveli.xxx

starrybisexual / Jun 22 2020 22.07

hi,

this movement has my full support.

however, i do disagree with the taking down of the statues and feel like the peaceful protests are having more of an effect as the violence shows people in a bad light when really they are fighting for a good cause.

as a white person, the protests have really opened my eyes to what is happening. i was really upset by it, i won't lie and as a white person, i felt like i needed to educate myself on it all etc. i have signed so so many petitions and will continue to do so aswell as watching the youtube videos which donate money from ad revenue to blm charities.

also, as i am part of lgbtq+( bisexual hehe) it is so important to notice that we would not have rights had it not have been for the black trans women who fought for rights.

having said that, like not all lives can't matter until black lives matter, all black lives cant matter until black lgbtq rights matter. i feel like there is so much more emphasis on the black male lives that have been lost but also black trans people face so much oppression and it just isnt talked about enough. in the us, trump passed a law saying that trans people can be denied of health care aswell as hinting that generally people who seem to be part of lgbtq can be denied of healthcare and i dont think this gets enough coverage. black trans women are killed and it isnt talked about enough which i personally find really upsetting.

you cant be racist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic, against women (i dont know the word haha) and feel like they are all just as important.

however, i recognise my priviledge as by looking at me, you can assume that im straight so i appear as a straight cisgender white female which holds a lot of priviledge. it is so upsetting how people can be judged by colour.

4. Small
    mabinogion / Jun 24 2020 9.25

hi,

100% agree with the movement. i am white and although ive known about this stuff happening for a while i wasnt sure what i could actually do about it apart from talking to like friends and family and stuff so im glad that we can do things mow that make a difference (at least that i knew of). i domt mind people taking down the statues, it is unfair and intimidating to keep up statues of someone who literally owned and exploited your ancestors and have to see it honoured. i dont underdstand how people think that racism doesnt exist in the UK and its just in America, i literally spent 2 hours trying to explain to my dad that it actually exists here and that he does actually have white privelege and he just aouldnt believe me. obviously not as long as black people are going to have spent explaining but damn. they should definitely fire, charge and prosecute all the police who unfairly treat/kill people bc of their race, and complaints of racism in general should be taken more seriously too. xx

5. Wallflower
    OliverTheTransGuy / Jun 28 2020 22.52

I agree with the movement however I do think that we should be saying that everyone deserves rightsI am white but I’m also trans and I’m fully aware of the discrimination against trans people as well as the LGBT+ community. June is Pride Month but it’s been pretty overshadowed by BLM. I understand why but I think that it needs to spread to not just the poc community but also the LGBT community, mainly due to it still being illegal in some countries to be gay, trans etc and that so many LGBT people are killed every year around the world. As a trans person I’m especially concerned for my MTF sisters who are often the ones brought up in transphobic arguments. I feel like jot enough attention has been brought to JK Rowling’s transphobic tweets as well. I love Harry Potter so it breaks my heart to say this but she’s being extremely transphobic and what she’s saying is not okay. I nearly forgot to mention the recent thing with Trump giving medical staff permission to DENY people if they think they’re trans. This makes me furious but I will not go into it here as I cannot fully explain the amount of rage I feel about this. I know in the future as I want to medically transition I will probably experience white male privilage and I’m horrified that this could happen as nobody should have more rightsthat someone else due to things that they cannot control or even reasons they can control.

I just want to say I am not saying that BLM is jot important. It’s extremely important and I 100% support it I just want it to spread to other minorities who experience similar problems.

Sorry for a bit of a rant.

6. Comic
    OliverTheTransGuy / Jun 28 2020 22.52

I agree with the movement however I do think that we should be saying that everyone deserves rightsI am white but I’m also trans and I’m fully aware of the discrimination against trans people as well as the LGBT+ community. June is Pride Month but it’s been pretty overshadowed by BLM. I understand why but I think that it needs to spread to not just the poc community but also the LGBT community, mainly due to it still being illegal in some countries to be gay, trans etc and that so many LGBT people are killed every year around the world. As a trans person I’m especially concerned for my MTF sisters who are often the ones brought up in transphobic arguments. I feel like jot enough attention has been brought to JK Rowling’s transphobic tweets as well. I love Harry Potter so it breaks my heart to say this but she’s being extremely transphobic and what she’s saying is not okay. I nearly forgot to mention the recent thing with Trump giving medical staff permission to DENY people if they think they’re trans. This makes me furious but I will not go into it here as I cannot fully explain the amount of rage I feel about this. I know in the future as I want to medically transition I will probably experience white male privilage and I’m horrified that this could happen as nobody should have more rightsthat someone else due to things that they cannot control or even reasons they can control.

I just want to say I am not saying that BLM is jot important. It’s extremely important and I 100% support it I just want it to spread to other minorities who experience similar problems.

Sorry for a bit of a rant.

TheoneandonlyAchlys / Jun 29 2020 2.02

i understand what your saying with the people from the LGBTQ+ community are being killed every year and Trump not giving trans people the medical help they need, needs to stop but you come on to a BLM debate forum to talk about how this movement is overshadowing pride month is a big annoying. No one purposely meant to make the recent uncalled for deaths of black people again a big topic in June but the killing of yet another black person was the last straw for everyone so what were we suppose to do? I've seen a lot people celebrating pride month ( as well as myself) and apps doing the same so i really dont understand what your talking about, the only thing that i haven't happen is pride parades. Also not enough attention is ever brought on to any celebrity who send hate to a community its always been like that they always prosper no matter what. Lastly, what minorities are you talking about ? Do you mean other peoples of colour or something else.

7. Bursting
    Shimmering-Sea / Jun 29 2020 13.46

Hello,

I, personally, agree with black lives matter. Racism is NOT okay!!!! However I think the protests have gone a bit far, like setting fires, shootings, taking down statues etc. We need to settle this in a more civilised manner, violence is not the answer!

Yes, all of the violence is being noticed, but this isn't the right way to go about racial equality. And I would be totally okay with the protests if social distancing was happening, which it isn't, at least at most protests.

During these protests, unnecessary injuries have occurred. The people injured 9/10 didn't do anything wrong. Being violent will not make this a racially equal world, this will just anger the government, if the protests were carried out in a more sensible and civilised manner, then the govermdnt are more likely to take action!

8. Small
    Shimmering-Sea / Jun 29 2020 13.46

Hello,

I, personally, agree with black lives matter. Racism is NOT okay!!!! However I think the protests have gone a bit far, like setting fires, shootings, taking down statues etc. We need to settle this in a more civilised manner, violence is not the answer!

Yes, all of the violence is being noticed, but this isn't the right way to go about racial equality. And I would be totally okay with the protests if social distancing was happening, which it isn't, at least at most protests.

During these protests, unnecessary injuries have occurred. The people injured 9/10 didn't do anything wrong. Being violent will not make this a racially equal world, this will just anger the government, if the protests were carried out in a more sensible and civilised manner, then the govermdnt are more likely to take action!

mabinogion / Jun 29 2020 16.02

hey there,

i have been to several protests myself, and from what ive seen and heard its mostly police doing the violence fires etc in america, and honestly i dont mind if they are taking down statues of slave traders ahaha. most of the violence ive heard in england was actually at the right-wing, anti-BLM protests, the BLM ones are peaceful protests, but the media is (generally) racist and so paints the people in these protests as violent and stuff to try to make them seem bad, and although police are being injured, most of the people being injured are protesters being attacked by police. even if it wasnt entirely peaceful it still isnt that bad considering a human life is more important than a building, it annoys me when people dont care about black people dying and whine about buildings being looted/set on fire instead (not saying this is you btw). peaceful protests are also often ignored so nothing happens, the government and media basically says that every form of protesting isnt the "right way" of protesting, so i guess they can protest how they want to get attention to the cause. also most protests do include social distancing, i have only seen a few times where it hasnt and most of these have been when american police used tactics to trap people in smaller places where they wouldnt be able to social distance. the main issue around violence during these protests we should be talking about is the use of unjustified and excessive violence from police, they really dont need tear gas (which is actually banned in WAR) and rubber bullets, which are still very dangerous and have made several people lose their eyes, to attemot to control PEACEFUL protesters, its just wrong.

this isnt an attack on you at all btw, just wanting to point out scapegoating from the media x

9. Wallflower
    TheoneandonlyAchlys / Jun 29 2020 2.02

i understand what your saying with the people from the LGBTQ+ community are being killed every year and Trump not giving trans people the medical help they need, needs to stop but you come on to a BLM debate forum to talk about how this movement is overshadowing pride month is a big annoying. No one purposely meant to make the recent uncalled for deaths of black people again a big topic in June but the killing of yet another black person was the last straw for everyone so what were we suppose to do? I've seen a lot people celebrating pride month ( as well as myself) and apps doing the same so i really dont understand what your talking about, the only thing that i haven't happen is pride parades. Also not enough attention is ever brought on to any celebrity who send hate to a community its always been like that they always prosper no matter what. Lastly, what minorities are you talking about ? Do you mean other peoples of colour or something else.

OliverTheTransGuy / Jun 29 2020 16.18

Sorry. I did not mean to seem like I was trying to overshadow BLM. That was not my intentions at all so I apologise if that’s how it came off. I persomally have not seen that many things to do with Pride but that might just be my area and who I follow on social media. I meant people of colour. I know that wasn’t very clear. Sorry about that.

Again I apologise if it sounded as if I was trying to overshadow BLM. I did not mean anything I said in that way at all. I was just trying to say how everybody deserves human rights and how I personally feel that attention should be brought onto the LGBT Community at some point. I just wanted to put my opinion on the matter forward and did not mean any disrespect.

10. Bursting
    mabinogion / Jun 29 2020 16.02

hey there,

i have been to several protests myself, and from what ive seen and heard its mostly police doing the violence fires etc in america, and honestly i dont mind if they are taking down statues of slave traders ahaha. most of the violence ive heard in england was actually at the right-wing, anti-BLM protests, the BLM ones are peaceful protests, but the media is (generally) racist and so paints the people in these protests as violent and stuff to try to make them seem bad, and although police are being injured, most of the people being injured are protesters being attacked by police. even if it wasnt entirely peaceful it still isnt that bad considering a human life is more important than a building, it annoys me when people dont care about black people dying and whine about buildings being looted/set on fire instead (not saying this is you btw). peaceful protests are also often ignored so nothing happens, the government and media basically says that every form of protesting isnt the "right way" of protesting, so i guess they can protest how they want to get attention to the cause. also most protests do include social distancing, i have only seen a few times where it hasnt and most of these have been when american police used tactics to trap people in smaller places where they wouldnt be able to social distance. the main issue around violence during these protests we should be talking about is the use of unjustified and excessive violence from police, they really dont need tear gas (which is actually banned in WAR) and rubber bullets, which are still very dangerous and have made several people lose their eyes, to attemot to control PEACEFUL protesters, its just wrong.

this isnt an attack on you at all btw, just wanting to point out scapegoating from the media x

Shimmering-Sea / Jun 30 2020 12.59

Hello,

I totally get what you mean. The news and media can be incredibly cruel, and twist things to suit them.

I haven't really seen too much about the protests in America, I was mainly talking about the protests in England, which are pretty much all over the news, media, etc.

I agree that life is more important that statues, buildings etc. No one deserves to die becuase of their race, religion or what they believe in!

11. Small
    Shimmering-Sea / Jun 30 2020 12.59

Hello,

I totally get what you mean. The news and media can be incredibly cruel, and twist things to suit them.

I haven't really seen too much about the protests in America, I was mainly talking about the protests in England, which are pretty much all over the news, media, etc.

I agree that life is more important that statues, buildings etc. No one deserves to die becuase of their race, religion or what they believe in!

mabinogion / Jul 01 2020 10.32

yeah, theyre a lot more violent in america but its mostly from police there by a long way, ive only heard of two protests with violence in england, one where a few blm protesters threw bikes at police horses which i dont agree with bc its not fair on the horses, although that was definitely a minority and pretty sure that was the only blm onr that got at all violent, and the other was like i said the right wing anti blm protest where they were throwing missiles at the police and drinking and not social distancing, what more can you expect from racists tho x)

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything