Halloween and Christian parents

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    JammDragon / May 22 2020 22.25

My parents are very against Halloween and say its celebrating the devil. I've tryed to explain that it's just a bit of fun, dressing up with friends and getting sweets. They always say the same thing 'it originates from praising demons, it's satanic' or 'you wouldn't normally beg for food from a stranger, what makes halloween any different?' they're against holidays in general too so that doesn't help. If I make any valid points they just say I'm being disrespectful but I really feel like I'm missing out on my childhood and I'm starting to get too old for it now so this year may be the only time I could ever experience it. Please help me with how to convince them. I know it's not even June, but it will need months of asking with valid points to convince them. Please, I need some help. I don't know what to do and it's making me hate holidays because they don't let me celebrate like a normal kid. I don't want that.

2. Nose dive

My parents are very against Halloween and say its celebrating the devil. I've tryed to explain that it's just a bit of fun, dressing up with friends and getting sweets. They always say the same thing 'it originates from praising demons, it's satanic' or 'you wouldn't normally beg for food from a stranger, what makes halloween any different?' they're against holidays in general too so that doesn't help. If I make any valid points they just say I'm being disrespectful but I really feel like I'm missing out on my childhood and I'm starting to get too old for it now so this year may be the only time I could ever experience it. Please help me with how to convince them. I know it's not even June, but it will need months of asking with valid points to convince them. Please, I need some help. I don't know what to do and it's making me hate holidays because they don't let me celebrate like a normal kid. I don't want that.

Idktbhidk3 / Jun 07 2020 13.36

Hi dragon , do all ur friends celebrate halloween ? have u asked there parents to maybe explain to urs that halloween is actually just a holiday which loads of people celebrate , im christian but my family arent very strict with being christians so i dont have to pray everyday and we also celebrate every holiday . Like i said , have u tried asking ur friends to get there parents to explain to your parents ? that would be pretty good and then maybe your parents would understand more .

From Idktbhidk1

3. Childline Avatar
    Idktbhidk3 / Jun 07 2020 13.36

Hi dragon , do all ur friends celebrate halloween ? have u asked there parents to maybe explain to urs that halloween is actually just a holiday which loads of people celebrate , im christian but my family arent very strict with being christians so i dont have to pray everyday and we also celebrate every holiday . Like i said , have u tried asking ur friends to get there parents to explain to your parents ? that would be pretty good and then maybe your parents would understand more .

From Idktbhidk1

JammDragon / Jun 10 2020 15.53

i have tryed but then they go into how its just begging or threatening people for your own gain and your just going along with sociaty.

4. Fixer
    sweetorangeboba / Jul 20 2020 10.03

My parents also do not celebrate Halloween I say to my mum that its just having a bit of fun like if you dont believe it means anything then it doesn't and every year at school everyone would be talkung about what theyre gonna do and orgsnising parties and im there like hi. Its really annoying but my mum always gives me and my sister a bunch of candy so we dint feel left out but its not the same 😔

5. Loser

DragonSlayer69 / Jul 29 2020 1.04

Hello! So something interesting about Halloween is that it’s not actually about praising demons, it’s the opposite! Originally people carved faces into turnips instead of pumpkins, and this was to scare away demons/ghosts! The belief was that on Halloween demons/ghosts were able to make themselves seen and interact with humans. And in return people would try to scare them off by carving faces into turnips and leaving small offerings on their doorsteps. These offerings weren’t to praise demons/ghosts but more of a compromise like ‘ill give you this food if you agree not to harm me or my family/animals’. People now dress up and do ‘trick or treating’ as a bit of fun to help keep the tradition alive!

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything